Pics of My Hybiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
OK Terry has posted some of his, here are a few of mine (the pics are not as good as Terry’s) I’m proud that these are doing well for the torts. I tried my hand at growing them before with no luck at all. But this past year they are doing great.
All are in pots. I think I am now in Love with hibiscus.

Whirl Wind - Species: rosa-sinensis
DSCF4730.jpg

'Kona' Double Pink blooms
DSCF4281.jpg

'Enlightened' Yellow with Pink center Species: rosa-sinensis
DSCF4275.jpg

Blue - this Hibiscus has small silver dollar sized flowers. species: Alyogyne huegelii
DSCF4733.jpg

I also have one called 'Cairo Apricot' that I haven't gotten a pic of the bloom yet. But will post when I can.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They are beautiful. Are they tropical or hardy? Here in NY, I have to take my tropical ones in for the winter. They are starting to bloom now. I just got two hardy ones, and they have just started to come up now. It is the first year for them, and I am wondering if they will bloom this year. I don't even know what they look like as someone gave them to me.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry they are Tropical rosa-sinensis (also called rose of china)
Hardy are named Hibiscus moscheutos (also called swamp mallow, swamp hibiscus, swamp rose mallow)
http://www.floridata.com/ref/H/hibisc_m.cfm
and the little blue is Alyogyne huegelii - Cold hardy to 20 degrees.
Blue Hibiscus
http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/alyogyne_huegelii_monterey.htm
Hopefully this is what the bush will look like when it grows up.
http://www.jamesdeandesign.com/Slide_Show/Plant_Catalog/SHRUBS/Alyogyne huegelii.jpg

I am fotunate to live in CA so that Tropicals do well. I don't really worry much about frost let alone snow.
Heat seems to be the biggest obstical and they tend to do well there. I just keep them watered well in well drained soil. And I just got lucky they are doing well. I just got 2 new ones I have no idea what they will look like or what colors they are they were in a sale for 50 % off. I couldn't resist. Good luck with yours and I hope they give you beautiful colorful flowers.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
VERY nice, robyn! i have a couple of variations (one really nice orange that resembles your "enlightened") but i can't get my DTs to eat the blooms. one time one of them ate the stamen but thats it! maybe cause it was sweet?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
They are beautiful Robyn! My favorite is the "Enlightened"!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice pictures Robyn. Your hibiscus flowers are amazing. Your torts must love to eat them, their colors are so beautiful!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Robyn those look nice!!!

DON'T ANYONE "NOT" POST PICS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A LIFE AND ALL I DO IS SIT AROUND TAKING PICS AND CHARGING CAMERA BATTERIES!!!
36_12_1.gif
.. [ that's not entirely true ].

Believe it or not I like the dbl. pink 'Kona'! And of course the 'Enlightened'!

Everyone of mine has "bloom-buds" now.. so I'll have "FULL BLOOM" in a few weeks..
36_10_1.gif

I'm anxious to see these again.. [ from last year - dbl. RED ( althea ) 'R of S' ]..

1dblRED.jpg

Also that "tree-line" mentioned a little while back is just now beginning to bloom.. pics soon.

Thanks again for the pics of your 'bisc Robyn...

nerd

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey your pictures are just as special to us as Nerd's. I think hibiscus are just like tortoises, you never can have just one....hmmm *counts pots* okay so maybe one dozen?? :D :D

My problem is where to house during the winter. :rolleyes: I thought about taking up my bed and using that room for the flowers, I mean who needs a bed any how, right? :D :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Terry, Kona is my first double bloom. That "althea" Red R of S is lovely.
Jacqui you could just make a forest of hibiscus in your livingroom for the winter. It could be like a maze:D.
I'm lucky and live in a warm climate so they will stay outside during winter. Besides my house like yours I'm sure is full of torts. Oh and I know what you mean about can't have just one. I just got another one yesterday red with a yellow fringe around the outside edge, can't wait to see the bloom. But the torts won't get that one until Oct.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Robyn, I can't have them in the house part...cats think inside plants are a gift to them...:D However I did tell my husband that we really don't need a bed any more. :D :D Told him that area would work wonders for the flowers. Just string up some plant lights and add a electric heater. (It's an over 100 yr old house, so no heat in the bedroom).

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jacqui, I know what you mean. My house is 108 this year. No Air in house ( So. Ca., good luck) and only a heater in the living room.
My husband detested reptiles of all kinds. Well no worries He's not around anymore so I have my torts. I got the better end of the bargain. :D
However I am not advocating getting rid of the hubby to set up a greenhouse in the bedroom. Maybe you could set up a Twin bed and just both get really snuggly to make room for some hibiscus. :p Just think of the wonderful bouquet you would have in that room. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did you house have electrical outlets at least? Mine averaged about 2 outlets a room. Upstairs had no outlets and each room just had one light source. It was on the wall farthest from the door for each room...lol. The pull the rope type...lol.

I know what you mean about a husband not into reptiles. I replaced mine with one who not only keeps me laughing, but can do electrical/plumbing/and more (think unlimited outlets now!) and might not know much about my animals, but sure is willing to learn.

He's in a semi and when he's home, we always sleep in it any how...as in it has heat and air...lol.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes, My house has 2 outlets in each room. The landlord added 2 to the living room and Kitchen. But I only have one floor so my house is less than 900 sq ft. most of it livingroom. Bedroom has room for 1 queen bed and 2 nightstands squeezed in. Each bedroom and the kitchen she put celing fans in so at least I lucked out there.
Yeah, if I had a semi with heat and AIR and a hubby I probably would sleep there too. :D
For now its me and my two dogs and the hatchlings in the livingroom.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
My newest hibiscus bloomed today this is Santana a Species: rosa-sinensis. I picked it up on Saturday.
DSCF4951.jpg

I think I only have 4 more that have to blossom yet. Then I will know what color each one of mine are. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is a tropical..right? It looks very similar to mine, except mine is red. I never knew the name though. Very pretty.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Terryo Yes it is a Tropical. Thanks I forgot to put that the Species is rosa-sinensis. Tropical for short. The last four I have to bloom yet I don't have names on either, And I don't even know what color they are they were half price because they had some yellow leaves and are only in gallon containers.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
This one was a surprise don't know the name it was untagged – not quite a double
DSCF5004.jpg

This is a nice light pink- again don't know the name also untagged - only 4 plants to go I think
DSCF5006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.