Pics of my two Russian torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
With all the pictures I've been taking of my rescues, I have completely neglected taking any recent ones of my beloved 2 Russians, Timmy and Roz.

The older, bigger one is Timmy. She has been with me for 4 years. She is not young, but we don't know just how old she is. The number 30 has been thrown out there, but as you all know, it's always a bit of a guessing game! We know she is at least 9, because the previous owners had her for 5 years before me. Isn't she pretty?

Timmy.JPG

The younger, smaller one is Roz. He still has a baby face, and he's been with me for a little less than a year. The 'fast growth' ring and slight pyramiding happened while he was with his first owner. Growth has slowed, and there is only a very tiny new lighter ring from the past year with me. My best guess is that he's between 5-10 years old.

Roz.JPG

I also included a pic of the two going to town on some dandelions. They look like hungry hungry hippos...

Timmy and Roz Nov 2012.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes they are cute. The older ones beak is getting a little long. If you feed them on a rough flat rock, like flag stone, etc, it will help in filing it down.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Nice little Russians. I am looking to get myself one soon enough. I see you have rocks down for them, that's good. Yes, Timmy's beak needs a trim, I've seen worse. I'm guessing this is common with Russians? And Roz has the cutest face...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Thanks, and yep, I already feed them on the rocks, but over the course of the past 4 years, Timmy's beak has still gotten a bit overgrown. :) I will be sure to trim Timmy's beak a little more in the next couple of weeks (I know how).
I feed healthy food (various dark leafy greens), don't cut it up, and feed on a rock... so my guess is some Russians just need a trim anyway at times?

wellington said:
Yes they are cute. The older ones beak is getting a little long. If you feed them on a rough flat rock, like flag stone, etc, it will help in filing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.