Pics of new adoptees...

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all as I promised here are the pics of the new SDTs I adopted yesterday. I don't know how old they are but I did measure them and maybe we can get a guesstamit from one of the senior member @Yvonne G or @Tom . The little one I was told is a female she is 4" long and weighs 6 1/2 ounces (she was 5oz till I soaked her today), the bigger two are def males the first one is 9 1/8" long and weighs 4.4lbs (no weight change after soaking) and the second male is 9 3/4" long and weighs 5lbs (no weight change after soaking). All of them soaked for hour today, they looked so dry so I let them soak and they really didn't seem to mind it. They all got light scrubbing and checks for external parasites and then massaged with some EVCO on there shell only. Was going to start on there pens today but noooooo mother nature had something else planned, like a monsoon lol
I also soaked, weighed and measured Leo and Raf, Leo is 4 1/2" and weighs 10oz (no weight change after soaking) and Raf is 8 1/2" and approx. 36oz (no weight change after soaking).
Anyway hope y'all like the pics.

received_962697043792627.jpeg received_962697117125953.jpeg received_962698083792523.jpeg received_962698083792523.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all as I promised here are the pics of the new SDTs I adopted yesterday. I don't know how old they are but I did measure them and maybe we can get a guesstamit from one of the senior member @Yvonne G or @Tom . The little one I was told is a female she is 4" long and weighs 6 1/2 ounces (she was 5oz till I soaked her today), the bigger two are def males the first one is 9 1/8" long and weighs 4.4lbs (no weight change after soaking) and the second male is 9 3/4" long and weighs 5lbs (no weight change after soaking). All of them soaked for hour today, they looked so dry so I let them soak and they really didn't seem to mind it. They all got light scrubbing and checks for external parasites and then massaged with some EVCO on there shell only. Was going to start on there pens today but noooooo mother nature had something else planned, like a monsoon lol
I also soaked, weighed and measured Leo and Raf, Leo is 4 1/2" and weighs 10oz (no weight change after soaking) and Raf is 8 1/2" and approx. 36oz (no weight change after soaking).
Anyway hope y'all like the pics.

Did 5he friend of yours keep these three hk used together in the same space?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Did 5he friend of yours keep these three hk used together in the same space?

Apology..I am using mini touch pad and apparently I suck at proper spelling and grammer on it...lets try this again..in prior home, did these three live in the same enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's really no way to tell the age, however, I'll guess that the little one might be about three years, and so way too small/young to know the sex yet. All young tortoises look female until they start going through sexual maturity.

The other two might be 5 or 6 years old, probably not 10 yet.

Keith D.

Arizona
Apology..I am using mini touch pad and apparently I suck at proper spelling and grammer on it...lets try this again..in prior home, did these three live in the same enclosure?
The largest male and the small females (hopefully female) and two others were housed together and the other male was in another pen with a adult female. Now that I have them they are all housed separately.

Keith D.

Arizona
There's really no way to tell the age, however, I'll guess that the little one might be about three years, and so way too small/young to know the sex yet. All young tortoises look female until they start going through sexual maturity.

The other two might be 5 or 6 years old, probably not 10 yet.
Ty Yvonne, my friend said that the little one was around three years old so that's cool and I was guessing around 6 years old on the males.
What I don't understand is why the little one is so small and 3 and Leo is larger and just turned 1, maybe its because they were housed differently? One outside and one inside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The largest male and the small females (hopefully female) and two others were housed together and the other male was in another pen with a adult female. Now that I have them they are all housed separately.

I would be willing to bet that the other two end up being male..as I looked at the size difference and over all look in their eye..I just feel that the big healthy juicy tort is clearly the dominant one and that leaves very little wiggle room for the others to equal food..basking..resting and basically any other good favorable items..happy to hear you have them separate..this species is so much healthier solo..especially in a forced captive set up..

Keith D.

Arizona
I would be willing to bet that the other two end up being male..as I looked at the size difference and over all look in their eye..I just feel that the big healthy juicy tort is clearly the dominant one and that leaves very little wiggle room for the others to equal food..basking..resting and basically any other good favorable items..happy to hear you have them separate..this species is so much healthier solo..especially in a forced captive set up..
Ya def the two bigger ones are male.

Keith D.

Arizona
What I am sayingmis I bet that you find all males in the hiuse so to speak..I hope yiu have ample room for individual enclosures..as males do not co habitat well in this species...
They are going to be housed outside in 18x20 enclosures