Pics of outdoor enclosure options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, FL
Please help with your advice of best outdoor enclosure location. There are 3 options where I can begin to build...

Option 1 Left corner of back yard...
DSC_1997.jpg

DSC_1994.jpg

Option 2 Right corner I LOVE THE TREE but...There is a pit bull in on the other side of the fence. However there are 2 fences in between the lots so maybe??

DSC_1998.jpg

DSC_1995.jpg

Stella (dog) jsut has to get in pics:D

okay here is the last one..the screened in enclosure. I would use the WHOLE side where the hot tub is(getting rid if it) all the way from the windows to the screen. I could do whatever I wanted here?? Any ideas?
DSC_1993.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think all three locations can work, but maybe someone with more (okay, a lot more) redfoot experience will feel more strongly about one location or another. Does the screened prch area get any sun at sometimes of the day?

Is that an American Bulldog? Do you have pics of her posted in the other pets, dog and cat section? If not, here is your formal request.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Roachman26 said:
I think all three locations can work, but maybe someone with more (okay, a lot more) redfoot experience will feel more strongly about one location or another. Does the screened prch area get any sun at sometimes of the day?

Is that an American Bulldog? Do you have pics of her posted in the other pets, dog and cat section? If not, here is your formal request.

That area will get 2-4 hrs of afternoon sun. and yes I'll post pics of Stella ... after I go to the beach:)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
#2 is THE spot because it's an automatic "HIDE" area that looks to be accessible to retrieve if needed! [ #1 you might not see them for days.... ]

You will want to plant as many 'Tropical' and 'Rose of Sharon' ( hibiscus on 3' centers ) as you can.. a couple years ago shortly before bringing them out for the summer.. [ these are all 'rose of sharon' -- the tropicals can't handle the cold this far north.. TN. ]

Northernside.jpg

After they 'mowed' down the 'lawn..

ARoseofSharonhaven.jpg

And last year just starting to bloom.. [ I'm 6' ]..

A3yrRoseofSharon.jpg

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sorry 'bout this.. I forgot that we are talking about your 'yellowfoot'!

Using #3 you would see her more often because of the shade! And she can utilize the sun in the afternoon as she chooses. Still provide a dark quiet hide she can retreat to.. one that never gets sun on it.

Terry K

BTW I would still fence off #2 and load it with Tropical and Rose of Sharon Hibiscus ASAP! Then let it just grow all over the place.. you may someday want redfoot tortoises also :cool:

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The Rose of Sharon went from this - about 3 feet tall -

Brazilianside.jpg

To this -

A3yrRoseofSharon.jpg

..in 3 years using this -

HibiscusFOOD.jpg

All tortoise safe organic stuff from Home Depot.. fed rather heavy in the spring.. reminds me of Post Grape-nuts cereal.. a granular.

Terry K

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS.. Sr. citizen error..
ASLEEP.gif

3-4 foot growth in 2 seasons!

NERD

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
I'll go pick some up tomorrow. My husband said there are some hibiscus in the back yard. We just moved here, still finding all kinds of stuff back there. Could I move them to the area I want to put Eleanor? Or will they die? I guess I could try it anyway.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, I love those "before" and "after" shots of the lawn--those torties sure can lower the level! :p

And I LOVE Rose of Sharon...I am going to show Fred those photos and beg him to let me plant one...the flowers are so bright and showy. :D

And Destiny, heed Terry's warning about tortoise addiction; he speaks from experience...;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Destiny said:
I'll go pick some up tomorrow. My husband said there are some hibiscus in the back yard. We just moved here, still finding all kinds of stuff back there. Could I move them to the area I want to put Eleanor? Or will they die? I guess I could try it anyway.

Nope.. plant or leave any Rose of Sharon or the Tropicals out in the direct sun.. they don't do well in the shade - however Eleanor will only do well in the shade!!!

Terry K

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
One of my Rose of Sharron only gets about 3 hours of sun in the AM, and it blooms continuously. In fact that is my Mother plant. All the smaller ones come from seed from that one big tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.