Pics of redone indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, FL
Okay so we changed the hide form the rubbermaid storage box to the hinged top, so that I could put her CHE light inside her hide. I didn't think the heat was getting through the back of the rubbermaid hide.

I have to admit I'm feeling very discouraged though. I got the humidity to where I needed it but yesterday found a couple of white spots on her shell! So after reading up I found that my substrate is too wet. Although I truly feel it was the sphagnum moss in her hide that was probably the thing that caused it, pretty sure I got it too wet. It was the first time I put it in. I got the betadine and but couldn't find the nolvesan at Walgreens?? I will start treatment today. I thought I would put some pics up of my indoor enclosure to see if there are any suggestions to improve my setup.

We had a 160W UVB/UVA/heat lamp here but I was told the light was bothering her so I put a 100w CHE lamp in and now it doesn't keep the temps up like the other one so I think maybe add another or lower it?
DSC_1999.jpg

I finally found a water source she likes. I have seen her in here several times to get a drink of water.
DSC_2000.jpg

My husband built this with the help of Yvonne's pics...Thanks!! Had a 100W CHE lamp in here and the temps went up fast last night to around 87 degrees I was afraid they would keep climbing so I bought a 60W CHE today.
DSC_2001.jpg

MAJOR oops!! Sorry the pics came ffrom N2Torts for the hide. I'll get this all straight eventually...I hope!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's ok...if it's good, I'll take credit for it! But BAD?? blame it on someone else!!! :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think it looks great! You just need to spiff it up a bit with plants and stones and stuff...take a look at these!

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13067.html

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-12465.html

Be sure to scroll through all the pages so you can enjoy all the photos. These are all from TFO's "Enclosures" section...there are lots more!

Keep experimenting and you are sure to find the right mix of elements that will keep your torty healthy, happy and entertained. :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Destiny said:
Okay so we changed the hide .......
and MAJOR oops!! Sorry the pics came ffrom N2Torts for the hide. I'll get this all straight eventually...I hope!

**** Looks like you two did a great job......!

" I hope that isnt Hubbys toe with the groovy Purple polish!"
:p

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Stephanie Logan said:
I think it looks great! You just need to spiff it up a bit with plants and stones and stuff...take a look at these!

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13067.html

Be sure to scroll through all the pages so you can enjoy all the photos. These are all from TFO's "Enclosures" section...there are lots more!

Keep experimenting and you are sure to find the right mix of elements that will keep your torty healthy, happy and entertained. :p

Yes I agree I recently put my potted plants from outside around the OUTSIDE of her enclosure to help with the humidity adn I put a shower curtain over part of the enclosure. I was wondering though...where does everyone get there plants from, so they don't have chemicals on them. I went ot Lowe's and they said everything has chemicals. I want to put plants INSIDE the enclosure that she can eat. Did everyone just grow them form seeds??

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Destiny am I seeing that right.. is the heat emitter outlet coming in from the side? If so it will be heating the lid. You want the outlet in the lid so it will direct the heat down.

I'm not trying to split hairs here but the entrance to the hide should be on the end [ as opposed to in the middle ] and the heat emitter toward the opposite end in the lid. That way Eleanor can decide how close to the heat she wants to get.. yet still give her the privacy she wants away from the entrance where the light is coming in during the day.

You can better control the heat from the emitter by using the 'dimmer' switch in this model - http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm
With the 'dimmer' you won't have to raise or lower or change out the emitters with different wattages.

You'll get it.. you're almost there. Can't say you're not trying.

Good job...

Terry K

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Redfoot NERD said:
Destiny am I seeing that right.. is the heat emitter outlet coming in from the side? If so it will be heating the lid. You want the outlet in the lid so it will direct the heat down.

I'm not trying to split hairs here but the entrance to the hide should be on the end [ as opposed to in the middle ] and the heat emitter toward the opposite end in the lid. That way Eleanor can decide how close to the heat she wants to get.. yet still give her the privacy she wants away from the entrance where the light is coming in during the day.

You can better control the heat from the emitter by using the 'dimmer' switch in this model - http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm
With the 'dimmer' you won't have to raise or lower or change out the emitters with different wattages.

You'll get it.. you're almost there. Can't say you're not trying.

Good job...

Terry K

Yes it is on the side, I will have my husband change it tonight when he gets home and move it to one side as well. I'll also ask him to make a different front for her.

I work in sales so I take constructive criticism well;) Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm really getting excited about the outdoor enclosure. I'm collecting shipping pallets from work to build it on that way I will have drainage for the plants I will put in it. I'm thinking about 12' x 9'. in the outdoor patio.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
I will disagree on this one .... event to a Mentor ...ALL HEAT RISES UP ...... So putting the Fixture facing down on the lid ... dosnt do a thing ..It dosnt have a blower to direct " heat down" ...
. Heat emitters of pretty much any type work by only heating the air and surfaces directly in front of them( Regardless Horizontal or verticle . What increases their efficiency is having objects with some size and weight to them directly below the heat emitter. For example, placing a pile of rocks (securely placed of course), below a heat emitter will mean that those rocks will absorb heat and then continue to radiate that heat outwards into the cage creating what is called thermal mass. This can also happen with a good deep substrate as well, but for the most part it works best with good heat conductors like rocks, ceramic hide boxes, etc. Wood and substrates tend to be much less efficient. Ideally you'll want to use an infrared temp gun to check your hot spot and if necessary hook the emitter up to a thermostat to insure it doesn't get too hot. However,one thing to keep in mind with any size of enclosure, chances are the emitter is going to run almost constantly especially if you're trying to effectively heat the entire enclosure.
These are used to " WARM an Enclosure" .. yet I see folks use them on tort tables .. aka ..no lid..." your wasting the heat these are not basking type lights ......they provide NO usable "rays"
WHY I put them .. on the side.... Create a warm "end " to enclosure ... you can place additonal items to"hide into " on opposite end ...... and give them a cool spot on the other side.......
Plus .... if using a " hinged type box" .. no fuss ... with cords protruding down through the lid...or ... electrical/water contact on a horizontal surface.
Just a thought ~
JD ~:D

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Terry. A CHE is not used to heat the whole enclosure, the rays from a CHE beam directly straight out from it. The animal gets warm by standing directly below the fixture in the beam. The beam of heat from the CHE is a narrow beam, (picture a flashlight beam at night) and I don't believe any heat coming from it fixed to the wall of the enclosure would be beneficial to the tort at all. The heat used that way would waft upwards and the actual heat from it would dissipate before it warmed up anything. I also agree with Terry to cut a different hole to the hide so that one total area is away from any heat source or light, providing a cool dark secure place to sleep.
Just my opinion and experience.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Destiny said:
I was wondering though...where does everyone get there plants from, so they don't have chemicals on them. I went ot Lowe's and they said everything has chemicals. I want to put plants INSIDE the enclosure that she can eat. Did everyone just grow them form seeds??

You can buy the ones that have chemicals, but the trick is to then repot them in safe soil and to keep them for awhile BEFORE using them for your tortoises. With a little time, the plant will once more become safe.

Also there are some places who have organic type plants, but even with those I urge caution and growing them for awhile yourself before using. Sometimes you can get starts from friends that you can use right away, so besure to take a look at what plants family, friends, co-workers, neighbors might have..plus those are usually given to you for free.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.