Picture of my first red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert

5 Year Member
Here is a picture of my first red foot. He seems to be doing well and his pyramiding hasn't gotten any worse since I got him from the pet store. He is very active and always comes to see me when I go by his aquarium (80g).

IMG_3949.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Hi you shouldn't keep them in aquariums since they would always walk into the glass and there is bad air circulation make him a tort house outta non chemical wood :p it is more fun that way and is more cheap

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Glad to hear the pyramiding is not getting worse!:)
He's a nice looking tort!

Angrycowgoesmoo said:
Hi you shouldn't keep them in aquariums since they would always walk into the glass and there is bad air circulation make him a tort house outta non chemical wood :p it is more fun that way and is more cheap

Red foots do really well in aquariums. They need a lot of humidity and the only way to get that is an enclosed enclosure.
A lot of red foot owners on here, such as Terry and Kristina, like to keep their red foots in aquariums.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I keep mine in an aquarium right now, but I will probably move it to a 50 gal or bigger storage container this week.

Cloud 9

5 Year Member
So. Cal.
sorta looks like the tortoise was chowing on some Caviar in that picture? just kidding :). Congrats on the new tortoise.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Welcome!

There is no issue about keeping them in an aquarium, apart from that they can get stressed. This is however easy to overcome by putting up some kind of blinds so they cannot look through at least three of the four sides. I keep all of mine in terrariums, and I have no problem...

But what has happened to the carapace ? Your RF does not look very old, but the plastron is nearly as ground down and polished as it is on my older RF's ?

albert

5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments.

I don't know why his plastron looks so polished. He does move around a lot on the coconut fibre. Maybe I should dampen it more as it may be too abrasive if it is dry? The humidity is high as the top is almost completely covered with glass lids and he has a soaking dish as well as a small drinking dish with water at all times. I also mist the tank a couple of times a day. The glass sides sometimes are wet with condensation. The only problem is his UV light sometimes heats his tank too much (up to 100 F at the basking spot on warm days). I remove some lids and shut the UV light off when this happens and put on a separate florescent fixture for light. I take him outside sometimes as well to get some sunlight and to crawl around in the grass.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Well hipster I heard it is good but I also heard some peoples torts had shell rot because of that. It also probably don't give enough air inside from just the top part

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You tort doesnt look so bad, and nothing wrong with aquariums as long as you have a great set up...

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
Well hipster I heard it is good but I also heard some peoples torts had shell rot because of that. It also probably don't give enough air inside from just the top part

Shell rot is usually from the substrate being too moist. It has nothing to do with the aquarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.