Pictures of my box turtle habitat as promised.

Professor Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Now that Spring has truly come to Texas, I have some good pictures of my new box turtle habitat. I have one three-toes box and one ornate box turtle in the habitat. They will live here year round including brumating in the winter. I will cover them in leaves when the time comes. I have a variety of foods, thanks to the advise of Yvonne and I have a worm farm to add live food on occasion. I love these guys.IMG_0535.JPEGIMG_0527.JPEGIMG_0451.JPEG

Relic

Here
That looks so nice. And just doing a quick "back-of-the-napkin" calculation based on what I can see in the distance, you have enough room to expand and shelter another 916 box turtles - give or take a few...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looks Great, Are you going to let the weeds grow and fill in to give them more cool spots to retreat to when it gets real hot this summer ?

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
That looks so nice. And just doing a quick "back-of-the-napkin" calculation based on what I can see in the distance, you have enough room to expand and shelter another 916 box turtles - give or take a few...

LOL. ? Yeah, we could have a few more, but my husband says I can't turn our farm into a turtle ranch. :(

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Looks Great, Are you going to let the weeds grow and fill in to give them more cool spots to retreat to when it gets real hot this summer ?
I'm thinking I will let the grass fill in but I may keep a mulch spot around the tree. I also have a mister that attaches to a hose. I do plan to let it blow across their habitat throughout the hot part of the day.

They currently have 4 hides, 3 of which are dug down into the dirt. They were dug out by my little ornate box. Then I covered it with landscaping rocks and dirt and one with a hollow log to keep it cool and sheltered.

Do you think I should keep it dirt and not grass in more areas? Is the mulch a good or bad idea? I'm open to suggestions. Always trying to improve it.
The first picture is covered with more dirt now.

IMG_0534.JPEGIMG_0532.JPEGunderground hide.JPEG

Relic

Here
More vegetation (to a degree) equals more insects for food. Dirt, not so much (other than the occasional grub or earthworm. Three toeds will spend most of their time in heavy vegetation and the ornates will spend most of their time out in the open. I'd shoot for some mix of the two...and if you ever get enough turtles to have breeding/egg-laying/etc. you'll want more cover for hatchlings, unless you plan to house them separately. I pretty much let my pen do its own thing - I only have to pull up all the baby pecan trees each spring.cy405vuvTXmhi+XLpvoHFw_thumb_117a1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now that Spring has truly come to Texas, I have some good pictures of my new box turtle habitat. I have one three-toes box and one ornate box turtle in the habitat. They will live here year round including brumating in the winter. I will cover them in leaves when the time comes. I have a variety of foods, thanks to the advise of Yvonne and I have a worm farm to add live food on occasion. I love these guys.View attachment 290016View attachment 290017View attachment 290018
You've really done a nice job. LOVE that last picture!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
More vegetation (to a degree) equals more insects for food. Dirt, not so much (other than the occasional grub or earthworm. Three toeds will spend most of their time in heavy vegetation and the ornates will spend most of their time out in the open. I'd shoot for some mix of the two...and if you ever get enough turtles to have breeding/egg-laying/etc. you'll want more cover for hatchlings, unless you plan to house them separately. I pretty much let my pen do its own thing - I only have to pull up all the baby pecan trees each spring.View attachment 290264

Excellent. Thank you. More vegetation is what I was planning on. I just made this enclosure over the last few months so the plants have not had time to go crazy. I have 3 hibiscus in there I hope will give some cover. I need to plant other grasses but will wait until after the stay at home orders are lifted.

Relic

Here
Excellent. Thank you. More vegetation is what I was planning on. I just made this enclosure over the last few months so the plants have not had time to go crazy. I have 3 hibiscus in there I hope will give some cover. I need to plant other grasses but will wait until after the stay at home orders are lifted.
Monkey grass does very well in Texas, spreads easily, and is harder to kill than bad ideas in Congress...

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Monkey grass does very well in Texas, spreads easily, and is harder to kill than bad ideas in Congress...
haha, I was going to plant a bunch of that but the tortoise table says it is a do not feed. I have planted spider plants and purple wandering jew.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW ! ! ! WOW ! ! ! WOW! ! ! ! !

I'm so envy of your space and enclosure. And what a wonderful enclosure. I love it.

Adamgp20

Texas
I feel like the boxie would know what to eat and what not. They live in the wild. It’s not like we shield them from plants in the woods ? not being mean by any means. Just thought it was funny

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I used it extensively in three different enclosures for the past 46 years without a problem. But maybe I'm just lucky!
Or maybe the turtles are smart enough not to eat what makes them sick in this instance. I love money grass. It is so hardy in Texas, unlike so many other things.

Congress, is another issue entirely. ?
Thank you for the great information.