Pictures of Sheldor outdoors and his indoor habitat

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice. The light in the left on the photos looks like a coiled type light bulb. Please include a photo of your lights. The coiled type bulbs very often harm young tortoises even tough they are sold for tortoises.
Also, your water bowl could pose a flip over hazard. I'd replace it with a flat saucer.

moongrace

5 Year Member
Nice. The light in the left on the photos looks like a coiled type light bulb. Please include a photo of your lights. The coiled type bulbs very often harm young tortoises even tough they are sold for tortoises.
Also, your water bowl could pose a flip over hazard. I'd replace it with a flat saucer.

At this point, we are rethinking the whole set up. He has a 100 watt infrared basking light, 5.0 zoo med uvb that's 100 watts, and a 100 watt incandescent bulb, and a T5 high output plant light. I got the turtle dish when I first brought him home because we were in a hurry to get him set up so we just ran out to the shed and grabbed an empty tank previously used for a vivarium That's why the rocks are glued to the one side. At one point, we had water running down them. SO, from what I read, we planted petunias, cucumber, and three other plants that we can't remember the names of but we took a list of supposedly completely edible plants for red foots to the local green house and my friend there went by the list for what to plant. The substrate is repti bark and of course, the obligatory half cut over-priced log to hid in. OH, and I went ahead and got the mister thing with timers because trying to use the small decorative fountain to increase humidity...epic fail We were frantically spraying water from a spray bottle and dumping water in until the substrate soaked and is now drying by the bushes on the ground beside the house. SO, we are now trying to figure out a base house that we can attach the lights to and not have to keep moving to try to get into the tank to work and play. We did go through the local vet who takes care of the reptiles, etc at the local Science Center here in town and he did say the lights were ok but said to bring them when we bring the tortoise for a check up so he can look at the fixtures and lights to double check SO...what we do have going for us: Sheldor is still alive. He eats well and we vary his diet but I want to work on that, too. He does like going outdoors for a bit when it is warm outside but the weather in NC is volatile this time of year so we never leave him unaccompanied. I want an enclosure inside where the front opens so I don't have to keep moving fixtures all the time. We are looking on-line at different ways people have built things.