Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Neal said:
Good idea about focusing on the teenagers. I'm involved with the youth through my church, I'll ask around if any of them have heard of anything. This happened mid day during a school day, so it's not highly probably, but anything is possible and worth some effort.

Hah! If that's the case then you should have the cops see who missed school that day in your area. Because kids love to play hookie. That should narrow the field down considerably.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Neal-Just want to say that I'm very sorry about the theft. That kind of stuff really p*sses me off! Saw your other post about a security camera system. I have had one in place focused on my outdoor tortoise enclosures for about 6 years now. Well worth the piece of mind. While it may prevent a theft, but cameras being visible will deter many and if it's recorded you have an increased chance of catching someone after the fact.

I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but you might also want to inform (or check) local pet shops too. Years ago a friend of mine had some Spotted turtles stolen out of his backyard garden pond by teenagers who tried to sell them to a local pet shop.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
GBtortoises said:
I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but you might also want to inform (or check) local pet shops too. Years ago a friend of mine had some Spotted turtles stolen out of his backyard garden pond by teenagers who tried to sell them to a local pet shop.

Yes, that's actually the first thing we did. We have a few local shops, all of which have been notified. Indian stars are not something any of them would see frequently, if at all, so it should be pretty easy to identify if someone tries to bring them in.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOW....just...WOW!

I'm sorry for your loss, I would never think of someone stealing pets... to me it feels like kidnapping!

Worst thing is, if its just some local teens, they probably think they just got hold of some really cool looking turtles... Hope your kids find thier way home soon...On the brite side.... teens do stupid things and Stupid Teens are often caught! If they think they only have "Cool Looking Turtles" then theres a good chance they will still have them when caught.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Neal said:
I'd like your thoughts on how far I should actually take this. I really feel it's best to get the word out as many ways as I can, but if my only real hope of getting them back is this guy trying to sell them off, I don't want to scare him away in that sense, since it opens up the possibility that I might get them back...any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Its a tough balancing act. Too much information out there could scare them into hiding, or possibly taking a road trip to another city and selling them there. Too little information out there, and the torts could possibly change hands to someone that will never find out that they were stolen.

A few years ago, my sister had a pair of greenwing macaws stolen from her house along with electronics, jewelry, cds, dvds, and of all things they stole bottles of wine (leading her to believe that these were minors).

She watched Craigslist and other websites, local classifieds, contacted local petstores. One thing that she ended up doing was offering a reward no questions asked. She offered $1000 (a proven pair of captive bred birds can get upwards of $4000 to $5000 according to her). A teenager had contacted her claiming that the birds were 'traded' to him for video games. As a test, she gave him the next door neighbor's house number. But sure enough, he showed up at her door. She wrote him a check (she was able to get the kid's name that way), she got the birds back, then she immediately stopped payment on the check. She then turned over the information to the local Police, and they tracked the boy down in no time. They also got him to rat out the two friends that helped him. They recovered some of her stuff.

It might be worth a shot, although I realize not all thieves are as stupid as these kids were. And of course, you always run a risk whenever you are in a position of facing the criminal that broke into your house and stole from you. My sister wanted the birds back badly enough that the risk was worth it to her. You would have to ask yourself if that potential risk is worth it to you.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Poor babies!! Now is the time to act for sure! Can you post flyers at local high schools with the pictures?? kids will brag (if someone wearing the smaller shoe size like you mentioned). What carriers were they in? Share the color and style on flyers posted all over - share this information and sadley search dumpsters. I know-- sick thought, but some folks are just plain sick and cant be bothered.

If you are renting is there an apartment complex hearby with dumpsters? Look through them as best as you can for your carriers. Post flyers in their common areas. You can find them :) You can!! Take two days off from work and make this your full time job. But act fast :)!! So many here really want to help you -- so keep sharing information :)!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We don't have any apartments close by, but we are in a very densely populated area so I'll be going around today with some flyers.

48 hours have gone by, it's been very cold at night...I hope whoever has them, knows enough that they need to be kept warm. Chances are, their health is deteriorating and they won't last longer than a couple more days.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Personally- I'd get those flyers out there. AND let local vets know as well even the SPCA. People who don't have the experience could turn them in too. You never know....

Wish I could help you more!! check out the ebay lead above too!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
How horrible. I am so sorry this happened. What a tragic thing. I really hope they are found.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good ad, though I find it kind of sad that you have to offer a reward for the return of your own property.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Neal, I would also consider posting that in the pets section, not just the wanted section. They are much more likely to find it there.

Good luck and I hope your guys are returned safely.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, also let the local pet shops know. somebody will need stuff to keep them. i hate crooks! good luck.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
momo said:
hi, also let the local pet shops know. somebody will need stuff to keep them. i hate crooks! good luck.

I'm going around to all the local shops today to give them flyers. They were the first to know of the missing torts.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Neal said:
momo said:

I'm going around to all the local shops today to give them flyers. They were the first to know of the missing torts.

Don't forget vets. In case they want to claim it as a new personal pet. Or maybe if someone finds one wandering and brings it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.