Pill Bugs Breeding in the Bioactive Substrate

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My indoor tank has clean, natural dirt from my backyard as the substrate. A while ago I created a bio active substrate by adding 5 earthworms and 8 or so pill bugs (also from my yard).

I never see poop in the enclosure. I have always cleaned up any uneaten food pretty quickly and don't deal with an abundance of spring tails. It has seemed to be a good balance.

Today I noticed about a dozen or so baby pill bugs. I know they are pill bug babies because I took some out for a good look. Obviously, my original group has been breeding. I hardly ever see the worms or pill bugs. I know they come out at night. But today was shocked to see so many babies all over the feeding rocks (no food on them).

After some googling I never found anything that leads me to believe they would harm the tortoise. Do any of you have input that would imply otherwise?

I found many threads here on TFO that mention using pill bugs to eliminate spring tails (exactly why I put them there in the first place).

I am just wondering if I need to control the population. I read up on what eats them and since adding frogs or moles isn't an option, would I want to re-do the dirt and start from scratch?

Hmmm...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They won't hurt your tort and unless they get out of control in numbers, where you don't want them in your house I would leave them. What a clean enclosure you will have. No poop and none of the other pesky bugs, springtails, etc that otherwise would take over

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
wellington said:
unless they get out of control in numbers,

I guess this is another question I have,

What is considered out of control in numbers?

But good they don't pose a threat to the tort.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I wouldn't worry, at least I never have, I worry more about killing too many of them off stirring the substrate or moving things, but there always seems to be a few around.

I'm sure the torts enjoy any they catch crawling around for a bit of pop control as well.

JessicaHanigan

5 Year Member
Does this breeding works fine because most of the experiments of bioactive substrate are worthless, I don't like them at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JessicaHanigan said:
Does this breeding works fine because most of the experiments of bioactive substrate are worthless, I don't like them at all.

Hi Jessica:

Won't you tell us why you feel this way?