Pimples like on sulcate tortoise

Shay_78

Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere
That greenish part needs to be taken off. He can't eat with it like that. Can you gently lift it off? If you can't do it, he needs to see a vet.
The green part is from the lettuce I usually help by cleaning it. But his beak is holding on by a thread and i dont want to brake it off and cause Bleeding or pain for the lil tort. Do you think it will re grow ? Or do you suggest i do anything after it fully brakes off ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to break or clip it off. Beaks are like your finger and toe nails. Break one off below the quick, it hurts for a while, but it grows back.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The green part is from the lettuce I usually help by cleaning it. But his beak is holding on by a thread and i dont want to brake it off and cause Bleeding or pain for the lil tort. Do you think it will re grow ? Or do you suggest i do anything after it fully brakes off ?
It's not going to bleed, but it needs to come off then it will regrow over time..

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Did this tortoise ever have any of the yellow bumps like the one from your other post?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
babies with austwickia can act and look normal. the issue is this attacks internal tissue and structures and its necrotizing to them. can you get some better dry pics of those bumps for me? currently there is no real treatment that will "cure" it it tends to supress it and then it comes back. you can look for other signs also toenails can fall out, edema or swelling of limbs or face, facial changes like jaw falling off etc things like that are all symptoms.

Shay_78

Somewhere
babies with austwickia can act and look normal. the issue is this attacks internal tissue and structures and its necrotizing to them. can you get some better dry pics of those bumps for me? currently there is no real treatment that will "cure" it it tends to supress it and then it comes back. you can look for other signs also toenails can fall out, edema or swelling of limbs or face, facial changes like jaw falling off etc things like that are all symptoms.
Hes jaw was cracked when i got him and it has fallen off today, the pumps have disappeared.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
the bumps will fall off for a bit. that does not mean it has gone away. thats all part of this disease

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May we know where you actually are so we will know how widespread this disease is? And where did this baby come from?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It is hard to tell what is going on with the mouth in the pictures. The beak is probably not overgrown or in need of trimming. I would think that would be unusual for such a young tortoise anyway. More likely what is happening is the lower jaw is falling off as a result of the disease??

Shay_78

Somewhere
It is hard to tell what is going on with the mouth in the pictures. The beak is probably not overgrown or in need of trimming. I would think that would be unusual for such a young tortoise anyway. More likely what is happening is the lower jaw is falling off as a result of the disease??
Yes as everyone clams:(