Pine straw??

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
In my indoor inclosure... Not outdoor I am debating if I should put pine straw. In my tortoises cage.... When I take her outside she always likes to burrow in the pinestraw that covers the area around the bushes.... She seems to really LOVE to burrow! :) I think it's cute! Does anybody else's tortoises burrow? So she is living in repti bark right now and every time she digs she seems to not get the satisfaction she wants... So should I put pinestraw for my tortoise?

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Thankyou so much! :)

And also.. Sorry but if she burrows in the pine-straw and she does not come out for a few days or so does that mean she is hibernating? Is there anyway to stop hibernating? Is it good if they do not hibernate or should I go ahead and let her? Thanks so much for your help!!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
oliviaTORTOISE said:
Thankyou so much! :)

And also.. Sorry but if she burrows in the pine-straw and she does not come out for a few days or so does that mean she is hibernating? Is there anyway to stop hibernating? Is it good if they do not hibernate or should I go ahead and let her? Thanks so much for your help!!

Hibernation is more complicated than letting them do it on their own in captivity indoors. If she sleeps, you'll have to maintain temperatures and wake her up every day to prevent her from preparing for hibernation.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.