Pink bellied side neck

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Very cool! You've been bit by the turtle bug!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Adorable sideneck! I'm curious... Have you noticed yet whether she prefers to tuck her head in to her left, or her right side? They're capable of either way, but many of them seem to prefer one side or the other... Sort of like humans being left handed or right handed.

skrapoy

New Orleans
Adorable sideneck! I'm curious... Have you noticed yet whether she prefers to tuck her head in to her left, or her right side? They're capable of either way, but many of them seem to prefer one side or the other... Sort of like humans being left handed or right handed.

Oh wow that’s awesome I’m going to pay attention and let you know it might take time lol but I’ll remember

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Oh wow that’s awesome I’m going to pay attention and let you know it might take time lol but I’ll remember
Thanks! I don't have a sideneck (not yet anyway), but curiosity has been getting the better of me. The fancy term for preferring one side (hand, paw, whatever) over the other is "lateral bias." I'm not aware of anyone doing studies on lateral preference in turtles, but I think it's an interesting topic.

Lateral bias (or lateral preference) in humans (and dogs, it seems) sort of correlates with some personality traits (left-brained vs. right-brained). In cats, there is apparently a correlation with gender, although certainly not 100 percent.