Pinkish Urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey everyone,

A few days ago I noticed that my female RT's urates (in her urine) were a little pink. I thought it was just something she ate, but today I noticed it again and it was a little darker shade; does anyone have an idea what it is? I thought it may be blood, but if it was, wouldn't it be in her urine as well and not the urates alone?She is still very active, eating, and, well, doing her business fine.

image-172146550.png

image-1376998384.png

Thanks,

Jake

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
MikeCow1 said:
I read somewhere, possibly here, that it's from a lot of dandelion greens

In their enclosure there is no dandelion greens, but a pretty good amount of clovers which she eats a lot, wonder if that could cause it?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Blood? It could be a bladder infection. I recommend taking her in to have her looked at by a vet. She may need antibiotics.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
mctlong said:
Blood? It could be a bladder infection. I recommend taking her in to have her looked at by a vet. She may need antibiotics.

That is what I first thought, my only question is why only the urates were shaded pink, her urine was completely normal color an everything which made me think maybe it was something she ate. I brought her to the vet Monday for a beak trimming (no exam), but he said she looked healthy and alert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This can be simply diet related. I would simply soak evey day for a while and keep an eye on it. That you are seeing urates so often, makes me wonder if dehydration might be a factor.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Tom said:
This can be simply diet related. I would simply soak evey day for a while and keep an eye on it. That you are seeing urates so often, makes me wonder if dehydration might be a factor.

Alright, will do! I do soak her 2-4 times a week (she also has a water bowl), especially since it has been so hot lately, but I have never really seen her drink much.

Status
Not open for further replies.