Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Plainfield, IN
I took my rescued tort to the vet a couple weeks ago and he finally called back this week with the results of the fecal exam. He found some pinworm eggs, but he said there weren't many, and since she is eating and active and such that she doesn't need to be treated. Not to second-question a vet, but I wanted to get your opinions. Is that common practice for an adult Russian tortoise?

He also mentioned that he had found some research indicating that low levels of pinworms could be beneficial to a tort's immune system. Has anyone else heard anything about this or know how this works?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question but I am just wondering why it took a couple of weeks for your vet to get back to you???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no need to make a tortoise's gut totally parasite free. They live in the wild with a few parasites too. As long as he's eating and acting healthy and normal, its quite ok.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I would agree with your vet - you don't need to treat her as she's eating and active. But just be careful if you have more than one tortoise, especially a cb one - don't mix them together.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
DesertGrandma said:
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question but I am just wondering why it took a couple of weeks for your vet to get back to you???

Yeah I was wondering that too. He doesn't specialize in torts so he said he was consulting with other vets; I guess that's why it took so long. Or he forgot until I called him to check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.