plan for tortoise after...when you can no longer care for them...

Stacy N-B

Location (City and/or State)
Mcalpin, Florida
So I'm very curious of what others plan to do with their tortoises when they can no longer be cared for by you. I have a plan but would like a back up plan for the one I currently have in place in case things go differently. I hope my tortoises out live me and this has been a subject of conversation from the very beginning of even considering a tortoise as a pet. I'd like to know what kind of pre planning if any that other people have. Are there facilities that handle these sort of situations? Thank You in advance for sharing

My current plan: The house I have is a family estate. It's very important to the members of my family. It's said that whom ever gets this specific estate with the property will assume care over any and all living things that reside here. However, not all plans go the way we think they will. I'd just like to have a backup plan to ensure they have a loving home and get the proper care.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My plan (for now) is to leave my Sulcata here with my parents in our 3 acre backyard, and visit on weekends to check up on him and such. This would only be during college, or until I got a house.

If that doesn’t work, I would likely try to temporarily rehome him to someone here :)

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
So I'm very curious of what others plan to do with their tortoises when they can no longer be cared for by you. I have a plan but would like a back up plan for the one I currently have in place in case things go differently. I hope my tortoises out live me and this has been a subject of conversation from the very beginning of even considering a tortoise as a pet. I'd like to know what kind of pre planning if any that other people have. Are there facilities that handle these sort of situations? Thank You in advance for sharing

My current plan: The house I have is a family estate. It's very important to the members of my family. It's said that whom ever gets this specific estate with the property will assume care over any and all living things that reside here. However, not all plans go the way we think they will. I'd just like to have a backup plan to ensure they have a loving home and get the proper care.
I own 3 baby sulcata, im gona raise them to about semi adults, then I will keep 1 and my brother and sister will keep the other 2. They both own their own house with really big yards.20180603_150406.jpgScreenshot_20180603-194502.jpg20180602_151653.jpg1526508609325.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter is the only one of my children living here in my town and she's not interested in turtles and tortoises. Neither of her two kids are either. I'm partners with Forum member Will on the turtles and tortoises so it will be up to him what to do with them when I'm gone.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have two sulcatas. I have four children. They argue over who gets them. At this point, my two oldest daughters will each get one. I want to build an outside enclosure near our veggie garden and get a Russian. Our 9 yo said she wants one that doesn’t get too big, so that one will be hers. I then am praying that we are able to move and have land so I can get a creep of Redfoots to try breeding. Our three year old has already started crying because we haven’t gotten her redfoots yet. So, I don’t think we will have a problem. I just have to help them when choosing a house so I can remind them they have to one day have an outdoor tortoise enclosure, so big yards are important.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
When I am either dead or gone, or just too old and fat to care for Sheldon anymore. I can only hope my daughter when she's done going to college, assuming she chooses that route, I hope she has a house with a big yard. I hope she remembers all those years ago she was the one who asked for Sheldon, and gives him the outstanding care he deserves.

Shortytorty

Ohio
I have no clue and I'm not young. I have given it some thought but I'm clueless. I would like to think my kids will love shorty enough to care for him when I bite it but who knows.

Stacy N-B

Mcalpin, Florida

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was going to give My Murphy to @Yvonne G

;) Joking

If it happened tomorrow, or if this forum is still around in oh 30-40 years (assuming I make it that long) I would reach out here to find accommodations for Murphy.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This is a very important subject to take a solid personal look into.
We all make the assumption of “oh my son or daughter or even unborn grandkid will take them on, but is that fair to do to the family member? Those that know me, know that here about 3 yrs ago I me a seizure while driving a back country road home from work. I rolled my s10 blazer 6 x’s and slide on the side for 160’. If you follow this link, it’ll take you to a album of pictures from afterwards, there’s only I think 3 of me but I was in er icu and I don’t remember any of it. So what I’m sayin here is it doesn’t always go the way you figure it will. Take it even further if y’all want. My sister is going through all her photos and giving them to people they something to. She’s even doing this with her books that she’s collected over the years and passing those on. Give to Church’s if that’s your thing or find a public school or library to donate them to. She got this from a friend who was having to do it with her moms stuff. After my wreck for the most part things worked out due to my relationships here on the forum. I only have sour grapes about one transaction, here’s that fun wreck link; https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0cJtdOXm0qd0e4

Remember, it’ll be y’all job to make sure the new caretaker is educated and skilled.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
This is a very important subject to take a solid personal look into.
We all make the assumption of “oh my son or daughter or even unborn grandkid will take them on, but is that fair to do to the family member? Those that know me, know that here about 3 yrs ago I me a seizure while driving a back country road home from work. I rolled my s10 blazer 6 x’s and slide on the side for 160’. If you follow this link, it’ll take you to a album of pictures from afterwards, there’s only I think 3 of me but I was in er icu and I don’t remember any of it. So what I’m sayin here is it doesn’t always go the way you figure it will. Take it even further if y’all want. My sister is going through all her photos and giving them to people they something to. She’s even doing this with her books that she’s collected over the years and passing those on. Give to Church’s if that’s your thing or find a public school or library to donate them to. She got this from a friend who was having to do it with her moms stuff. After my wreck for the most part things worked out due to my relationships here on the forum. I only have sour grapes about one transaction, here’s that fun wreck link; https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0cJtdOXm0qd0e4

Remember, it’ll be y’all job to make sure the new caretaker is educated and skilled.
Gonna follow link. Im a 3time tortoise owner and been in 3 rollover accidents. Only God knows why im still walking n breathing. I've also had a Blazer S10 limited edition 4x4.. This is my S10. I lifted and chopped top and thru it on 33 inch Mickey Thomsons Baja Claws. but im deactivated on facebook so I only have stock pics. FB_IMG_1528504597662.jpgFB_IMG_1528504631487.jpgFB_IMG_1528504621719.jpgFB_IMG_1528504608159.jpg