plan for tortoise after...when you can no longer care for them...

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I am not too old and I plan to be around a long, long time but I'm sure my torts will out live me (God willing). I live on my son's farm and he said he would take care of them when I'm gone. He is retiring from the USAF in a couple of years and is looking forward to spending more time with them and learning. He claims he wants to breed them and hire them out as lawn mowers. lol I'm sure he's joking about that. I also have a grandson that is very interested in them and a brand new granddaughter tht I babysit. I plan to teach her and hope she also loves them. Right now she tries to talk to them but they don't speak baby gibberish and she doesn't speak tortoise. Oh well.

AndreaJonly

San Francisco, CA, USA
So I'm very curious of what others plan to do with their tortoises when they can no longer be cared for by you. I have a plan but would like a back up plan for the one I currently have in place in case things go differently. I hope my tortoises out live me and this has been a subject of conversation from the very beginning of even considering a tortoise as a pet. I'd like to know what kind of pre planning if any that other people have. Are there facilities that handle these sort of situations? Thank You in advance for sharing

My current plan: The house I have is a family estate. It's very important to the members of my family. It's said that whom ever gets this specific estate with the property will assume care over any and all living things that reside here. However, not all plans go the way we think they will. I'd just like to have a backup plan to ensure they have a loving home and get the proper care.
Before I adopted Riley, I made sure my animal-loving (younger than me) friend would take him/her (baby sully). I have also set aside some money for my friend to inherit for vet bills, etc. She and her hubby just bought their first home, and it has a big back yard (at least, it does by San Francisco standards). They love all animals.
My 'Plan B' is to make sure a local zoo or children's museum would take such a donation - Riley and his/her savings account.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I should still have a few years left in me. I'm only 46. But I actually have discussed this with my youngest son (13) who I think would look after them the best and he has agreed that he will look after them. And or any that I have at the time when I cannot so it anymore.

SkyandSheldon

Wyoming
So I'm very curious of what others plan to do with their tortoises when they can no longer be cared for by you. I have a plan but would like a back up plan for the one I currently have in place in case things go differently. I hope my tortoises out live me and this has been a subject of conversation from the very beginning of even considering a tortoise as a pet. I'd like to know what kind of pre planning if any that other people have. Are there facilities that handle these sort of situations? Thank You in advance for sharing

My current plan: The house I have is a family estate. It's very important to the members of my family. It's said that whom ever gets this specific estate with the property will assume care over any and all living things that reside here. However, not all plans go the way we think they will. I'd just like to have a backup plan to ensure they have a loving home and get the proper care.
I think you are very bold to bring up this topic because it never gets talked about thank you.
I just don't think these tortoises should be sold in the first place without a licenced expert, I rescued mine where it was purchased in Wyoming and it's been a rocky path. About a thousand dollars later, countless nights on forums and the most love I can offer.. Sheldon will still deserve better. The concern is always who will love them the way you do

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's something we thought long and hard about. Joe started his time with my husband in 1970 and I got the pair of them in 1982. We had always assumed that Joe would outlive us. As our children are now grown up, we know that either or both would have accommodate him properly.

However, we lost Joe to a tumour last year and the "what next?" question is very real as we decide whether, or not, to take another tort into our lives. If we do, it's more likely to be an old-timer rescue rather than a youngster.

Port St Lucie, FL

I am 64 yrs old my baby is almost a month old. I have farm animals and a dog I need to think of when I am no longer able to take care of my forever pets. My granddaughter has pledged to take my horse and my tortoise and my grandmother's china! I even have that instruction (not tortoise yet) in my unrevokable trust. That means I am the only one that can make changes over the years as things change, properties change etc.. I never got an animal without expecting to be the one to keep them their entire lives. Friends I have, buy a horse, use three years love it then sell it for another one. I can not understand giving up something you love that easily.

Port St Lucie, FL
I have two sulcatas. I have four children. They argue over who gets them. At this point, my two oldest daughters will each get one. I want to build an outside enclosure near our veggie garden and get a Russian. Our 9 yo said she wants one that doesn’t get too big, so that one will be hers. I then am praying that we are able to move and have land so I can get a creep of Redfoots to try breeding. Our three year old has already started crying because we haven’t gotten her redfoots yet. So, I don’t think we will have a problem. I just have to help them when choosing a house so I can remind them they have to one day have an outdoor tortoise enclosure, so big yards are important.

I like your plan. But I must tell you I am a dog trainer and used to show in obedience. Only purebred dogs. I leave the breeding of any animal to the professionals that know what they are doing. Dog breeders only breed to either better the breed or to extend the champion breed line. Horses the same. Too many things can go wrong with a backyard breeder. I've seen, and heard it all.

Stacy N-B

Mcalpin, Florida
I think you are very bold to bring up this topic because it never gets talked about thank you.
I just don't think these tortoises should be sold in the first place without a licenced expert, I rescued mine where it was purchased in Wyoming and it's been a rocky path. About a thousand dollars later, countless nights on forums and the most love I can offer.. Sheldon will still deserve better. The concern is always who will love them the way you do
Thank You. All to true. If anything it'll get people thinking about it.

Jaid10

USA
I remember when I was around 6 I would always say I’d give mine to the zoo when I died because I wouldn’t trust my grand kids or kids with my favorite tort. I’ve changed my mind and will let my grand kids take them. As long as they are good with torts. I guess I’ve always planned of keeping them until I’m too old to care for them.

Jaid10

USA
When I am either dead or gone, or just too old and fat to care for Sheldon anymore. I can only hope my daughter when she's done going to college, assuming she chooses that route, I hope she has a house with a big yard. I hope she remembers all those years ago she was the one who asked for Sheldon, and gives him the outstanding care he deserves.
Sheldon? My older one is named Shelly.:)

Jaid10

USA
I like the name Shelly, we may be changing it to Shelly in the future. We're not quite sure if it's a boy or a girl yet.[emoji848]
Yeah I’m not sure about Shelly’s gender either. She hasn’t gotten good care until the past few weeks. She is way to small to tell.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yeah I’m not sure about Shelly’s gender either. She hasn’t gotten good care until the past few weeks. She is way to small to tell.
Sounds like you're giving her really good care now. She'll probably start growing like a weed before you know it.

Jaid10

USA
Sounds like you're giving her really good care now. She'll probably start growing like a weed before you know it.
Hopefully. I measured her a few days ago. She was only about 8 inches.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hopefully. I measured her a few days ago. She was only about 8 inches.
I think it will, from your other post that I've read you seem to be applying maximum effort. I think you'll probably start seeing positive results over time.