Plannig to create this area into the new turt/tort area, but need to id the weeds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
RE: Plannig to create this area into the new turt/tort area, but need to id the weeds

emysemys said:
Sorry, Terra, for hi-jacking your post, but it sorta' is related.

Webskipper:

The plant on the left is wild mustard (I think) and the one on the right is mallow. Mallow is edible, but I think the mustard is not because my tortoises won't touch it.

Thanks for the id, Yvonne.

Actually, Mustard is on the good list that is mentioned above. This is great news because these plants will broaden the current diet of organic Spring Mix as the staple and other greens issued to them at chow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just did a GOOGLE image search for "wild mustard" and your picture isn't what came up on the screen. I guess we'll have to wait for Kelly (Stells) to come in and i.d. that one.

I might have been partially right. I just found this one:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/flixweed.html

It doesn't give a close-up picture, but I think its similar to what you showed, huh?

But then again...it might be this one:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/london_rocket.html

That's it...too much computer time. I'm off to clean my bedroom!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
This is a great Plant ID thread.

Flixweed look close, I'll bring samples to the local nursery which is the Meca of SW greenhouses here.

London Rocket? Was it carried across the ocean by an African Swallow? Thanks for the tips.

moswen

5 Year Member
RE: Plannig to create this area into the new turt/tort area, but need to id the weeds

webskipper said:
I did not see Buttercup on the list good or bad, my backyard is full of it and this other plant. See below. We think there is Bermuda grass starting as well. Thanks in advance.

buttercup and daffodils are both poisonus! daffodils are my favorite flower and i was going to grow them in all my tort pens... too bad...!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
webskipper said:
London Rocket? Was it carried across the ocean by an African Swallow? Thanks for the tips.

Well, it couldn't have been a European swallow...;)

Hey, Terra, it's time to get off your butt and start turning over that soil out in your future Tort Garden! No more excuses now. :p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
WHAT!!! off my butt.. What are you talking about... do I need to fly to your house and kick your butt!!!!!!!!!!

I have a lot done in my tort area!!! infact i am expanding it again shortly... You are so fired..

FIRED!!!

humph

J

jeanlery2010

Base on the images, those weeds are really appear to me beautifully but they are actually unfamiliar. I haven't seen those before, in fact, I never thought that that they could be eaten by some animals. However, it's good to know that those different plants and discover their uses and contributions.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stephanie Logan Yep shirking my duties here. LOL Webskipper that is wild mustard and though it is on the ok list most of my torts only eat it if it is very young. As Yvonne said the other is mallow and all mine love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.