Planning a trip right before brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
:D I still believe you should over winter them this first winter that they are with you....but I believe I shared this already, so now I am just nagging....lol..

I know it's a well-intentioned nag! :)

We've been preparing for brumation cause that's what they've always done. Even when living indoors with a keeper who tried to keep them awake. Also -- entirely selfishly -- I like the idea of having the winter to work on the yard, travel and do things that are harder for us to do with the torts awake. We've spent the summer soaking and fattening them up, and plan to provide a safe, dry, cool spot for the winter. I know it's not the usual choice made by folks on the forum and I do respect that.

Of course I reserve the right to fret and fuss and second-guess myself through the entire process, and subject you all to it. :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
OK we've let them stay out the last 3 nights as we've had a hot, dry spell. But temps are dropping and rain/fog is in the forecast so I'll start bringing them in again tonight.

They both turned their noses up at the weed salads in their food dishes yesterday, except for a half hibiscus blossom in each. They both got a warm soak before bed last night. Mostly they seem interested in sun, water and sleep right now.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Well after all that worrying, it turns out our 80,000 dang frequent flier miles won't be enough to get hubster to London with me on such short notice. I'm disappointed I won't get to share the trip with him and annoyed with American Airlines for their inflexibility. But I am very happy for the torts, since the only person who takes better care of them than me is the hubster. Of course he'll be required to send daily updates including photos.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
thatrebecca said:
Well after all that worrying, it turns out our 80,000 dang frequent flier miles won't be enough to get hubster to London with me on such short notice. I'm disappointed I won't get to share the trip with him and annoyed with American Airlines for their inflexibility. But I am very happy for the torts, since the only person who takes better care of them than me is the hubster. Of course he'll be required to send daily updates including photos.

solves everything. haha

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I think brumation the first winter with a new family/owner is fine, assuming that the previous brumations have all gone well and no illnesses have occurred and the tort is healthy.
If its like a rescue or has unknown history or something, then that is more of a cause to wait the first winter out and make sure all is well and prepare for the next brumation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.