Planning for a western Hermann’s hatchling

rosaherbgarden

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello! I’m planning to get a western Hermann’s tortoise in about a year. I’m just trying to learn a slowly prepare right now. I want to buy all the right stuff too, not a bunch of wrong stuff I just have to replace later. I’ve been reading on here and on Hermanni Haven, but there is some stuff I’m confused about and hoping someone can help. Thanks!

1. What is the best insulation material for the bottom of the plastic container to stop the tortoise from getting cold if it burrows all the way down? I need it cool in my house and I can’t change because I get very cranky if I’m hot. Would this be good? https://a.co/d/i7yOIl8 Or is that double reflective bubble insulation from the hardware store better?

2.Is it better to automate a mister or mist the enclosure by hand?

3. How do you prevent respiratory infections and shell rot from too much moisture? Is this a very common problem? Would condensation on the sides of the enclosure be normal or a bad sign?

4. How long should the UVB light be in proportion to the habitat? Does it cause problems if it is too short?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! I’m planning to get a western Hermann’s tortoise in about a year. I’m just trying to learn a slowly prepare right now. I want to buy all the right stuff too, not a bunch of wrong stuff I just have to replace later. I’ve been reading on here and on Hermanni Haven, but there is some stuff I’m confused about and hoping someone can help. Thanks!

1. What is the best insulation material for the bottom of the plastic container to stop the tortoise from getting cold if it burrows all the way down? I need it cool in my house and I can’t change because I get very cranky if I’m hot. Would this be good? https://a.co/d/i7yOIl8 Or is that double reflective bubble insulation from the hardware store better?

2.Is it better to automate a mister or mist the enclosure by hand?

3. How do you prevent respiratory infections and shell rot from too much moisture? Is this a very common problem? Would condensation on the sides of the enclosure be normal or a bad sign?

4. How long should the UVB light be in proportion to the habitat? Does it cause problems if it is too short?
1. You don't need insulation. Just use a closed chamber enclosure with a radiant heat panel inside controlled by a thermostat. This will regulate the ambient temp for you.
2. You won't need to mist in a closed chamber.
3. Hermanni don't get shell rot, and you won't be keeping it wet.
4. This doesn't matter. The UV tube should be near the heat source, and they will use it as needed.

This will help you. A lot.