Planning upgrades to outdoor enclosure, need advice

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
My outdoor enclosure is still partly covered by snow but I have started to plan upgrades to my enclosure and I hope other members with experience in keeping torts outdoors in cool climates can help.

I live the the south of Norway, which should have a climate and receive a solar output similar to that of the high north in the United Kingdom.

I am attaching a pic of my outdoor enclosure from last summer.20140526_173719.jpg

Even when the sun is out during the summer, the (air) temps range from usually from 17C to 25C. As you can see from the pic, there is a coldframe (and my tort spends a lot of time in there).

Here are my thoughts:

1. I would like to increase the solar energy output on a part of my enclosure by using a mylar (aluminum) reflector (see pic for example)1Untitled.jpg
I plan to shine the extra sunlight on about 1/3 of the enclosure (not including the coldframe area) so that the tort gets options and can choose where to be. Has anyone here attempted this?

2. The grass substrate is moist and probably keeps the temps cool due to evaporation. I would like to change the substrate to something that is easier to keep dry and ideally also feels "warm". I tried some large flat rocks/slabs last year and they felt very cold to the touch. Any ideas?

Finally attaching a pic of Helios self soaking and patiently waiting for warmer days :)20140929_145417.jpg

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I'm in Canada with a similar climate planning an outdoor enclosure too. I like the reflector idea, but if you had sun shining intensely on one spot, could it then reflect a rather hot and potent beam? You would have to experiment first I'd say.

We have some very dark blackish grey slate type landscaping rocks that always heat up nicely in the sun...I think dark colored rocks will absorb the heat. I've found nice large really dark ones at our aquarium supply shop. Or if you can find any sort of plastic....like a fake rock, that will get quite warm (maybe too warm!) too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about putting a heating system of some sort into cement itself (and then fixing the cement so it's smoother)? Then you could even put a layer of substrate over it, if you wanted, but I would rather leave the rest of the area the natural ground even if cool, it would give the animal a choice and if it go hot, a place to cool off or just to dig in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I almost forgot, what is the white electrical cord in there for? I worry about the animal chumping in to it and would much rather see it out of reach as much as possible.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
I almost forgot, what is the white electrical cord in there for? I worry about the animal chumping in to it and would much rather see it out of reach as much as possible.

Its a humidity and temp sensor that runs on 1 AAA battery, its been in there for 2 years.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
How about putting a heating system of some sort into cement itself (and then fixing the cement so it's smoother)? Then you could even put a layer of substrate over it, if you wanted, but I would rather leave the rest of the area the natural ground even if cool, it would give the animal a choice and if it go hot, a place to cool off or just to dig in.

Thats a good idea. I prefer solutions that do not require electricity because I would like to try to regulate the temps in the outdoor enclosure in a "natural" way. If the mylar reflector and change of substrate are not enough I will try some kind of heating system like you suggested.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
I'm in Canada with a similar climate planning an outdoor enclosure too. I like the reflector idea, but if you had sun shining intensely on one spot, could it then reflect a rather hot and potent beam? You would have to experiment first I'd say.

We have some very dark blackish grey slate type landscaping rocks that always heat up nicely in the sun...I think dark colored rocks will absorb the heat. I've found nice large really dark ones at our aquarium supply shop. Or if you can find any sort of plastic....like a fake rock, that will get quite warm (maybe too warm!) too.

Hi :)

I like the dark rocks idea and I think your plastic black rock sounds great for basking on cool days.

You gave me an idea: A black sheet of rubber (like a car floor mat) might be just the thing. :)

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway

Its a humidity and temp sensor that runs on 1 AAA battery, its been in there for 2 years.

Would you remove it anyway?