Plans for your torts when you pass?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Nobody likes to think about dying, but a tortoise should outlive its caretaker most of the time. I was just wondering what everyone’s plans were for their torts.
I like the idea of raising our sulcata Rex, and leaving him to my girls. And there kids and so on.
Just curious

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
None of my family are interested - they all think I'm mad the way my life revolves around my tort and aren't prepared to take him on.
I have said I would leave everything in trust to the one who did adopt him, but it would have to come with strict conditions and legal requirements to make sure they didn't think they could get rid of him and pocket everything for themselves.
Hopefully I will have time to find a good home for him before I go, but if I have a sudden end I expect he will end up in a sanctuary.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Will of Kapidolo Farms is my tortoise partner. Hopefully he outlives me because my family doesn't want the tortoises.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Thanks for the replies.
Taking care of Rex the whole family is involved. From growing his food, building enclosures, fighting off fire ants,,etc
For one tortoise he can be a lot of work. My girls love him. And hopefully they will want to take him when I’m gone.
Lol but I’m kinda scared to acquire any more torts. I’m already asking a lot for them to take on a potentially 200+ lb tortoise

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
This is something I need to work on. I don't have kids to pass them on to. I'm only in my 40's so I probably have time but ya never know. I really should have a plan for the unexpected. I worry that no one will take care of them as well as I do. I never wanted to live forever until now!!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Thanks for the replies.
Taking care of Rex the whole family is involved. From growing his food, building enclosures, fighting off fire ants,,etc
For one tortoise he can be a lot of work. My girls love him. And hopefully they will want to take him when I’m gone.
Lol but I’m kinda scared to acquire any more torts. I’m already asking a lot for them to take on a potentially 200+ lb tortoise

This is my hope. My kids are still young (nearly, 6, 4, 2 and 2 months), so they will grow up with this tort and learn care and be attached. They'll know their whole life that one of them should take responsiblity when the time comes. I'm only 30, so it could even be my hypothetical grandkid who will be able to say they have their grandmother's tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The other animals I keep (including my human family) will continue to care for the tortoises when I kick off.:)
Or else.o_O

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Goes to my wife first, son second, and Arrowhead Reptile Rescue as a backup plan. If I'm coherent but no longer able to take care of him, I might consider posting him here for adoption if my wife and son change their minds.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
With my last health issues it made me think about this.
That is why in another post I was saying for a fleeting moment I was thinking of getting rid of Opo now.
I have 4 sons and 8 grandchildren. My oldest son has the best accommodations with a 20 acre horse farm. The only problem is they all live in Michigan. I don't think it would be fair for Opo to live in a cold state.
I am going to look at options here in Florida and soon. Need to get that worry off my mind.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I’m in Salem. Once the Keizer In-N-Out is built we should meet.
I would love that!!! I haven't met any other tortoises or tortoise people before. That would be really fun for me! PM me when you are ready to set up a tortoise meet up.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
With this issue on my mind I wrote to a tortoise sanctuary in N. California. They will take in torts but they warned me that they are older people without a plan for the sanctuary. There seems to be a real need for a place to go. I wish I had a big piece of property in a warm climate to start a sanctuary....and some young people to take it on down the road.
Hey @TechnoCheese you are young.. what's your plan for the future? Wanna take all of our tortoises?! Haha!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would love that!!! I haven't met any other tortoises or tortoise people before. That would be really fun for me! PM me when you are ready to set up a tortoise meet up.
I thought you had met Maggie?

Changa

Ca
Nobody likes to think about dying, but a tortoise should outlive its caretaker most of the time. I was just wondering what everyone’s plans were for their torts.
I like the idea of raising our sulcata Rex, and leaving him to my girls. And there kids and so on.
Just curious
I been thinking about this too our niece couldn't keep her young sully (3yrs-1yr)and I volunteered to take them
We are 65. Yikes My kids cant keep them they live in the city.
Questions? Are there adoption locations?