Plans for your torts when you pass?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
My wife and I have included discussion of the dogs living with us in our wills; I'll likely add in a section about Darwin the next time I update mine.

Jamie

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
With this issue on my mind I wrote to a tortoise sanctuary in N. California. They will take in torts but they warned me that they are older people without a plan for the sanctuary. There seems to be a real need for a place to go. I wish I had a big piece of property in a warm climate to start a sanctuary....and some young people to take it on down the road.
Hey @TechnoCheese you are young.. what's your plan for the future? Wanna take all of our tortoises?! Haha!

Lol, sure! ;)

My plan is to leave my tortoise with my parents since I won’t be too far away for college, rent a house with a large yard, temporarily rehome him to someone here, or move in with a roommate to help pay for a place with a large yard. These would all be temporary for college.

No idea if these are unrealistic expectations or not, but we’ll see, lol.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Lol, sure! ;)

My plan is to leave my tortoise with my parents since I won’t be too far away for college, rent a house with a large yard, temporarily rehome him to someone here, or move in with a roommate to help pay for a place with a large yard. These would all be temporary for college.

No idea if these are unrealistic expectations or not, but we’ll see, lol.
Interesting that us "old" folks plan for ....well... you know. And the young ones plan for a couple or few years down the road. lol. Gotta love perspectives!

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Nobody likes to think about dying, but a tortoise should outlive its caretaker most of the time. I was just wondering what everyone’s plans were for their torts.
I like the idea of raising our sulcata Rex, and leaving him to my girls. And there kids and so on.
Just curious
Before I bought my 2 sullys, I spoke with each of my daughters to make sure they would be willing to take them once I am gone. One of my daughters works in reptile and animal rescue in Texas, and she was very excited at the thought of it. (Hopefully not so excited that she decides to knock me off so she can have them sooner! LOL) I feel confident that they will be well taken care of. :)