Plant food for growing weeds safe?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I have some tortoise seed mix growing in an outdoor enclosure (i use plain topsoil for the subatrate) and was thinking of using plant food to help them grow bigger. I use the miracle grow plant food for growing veggies. Since it's safe for humans would it be safe for growing tortoise food?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think I read someplace that the fertilizer is pulled up through the roots then converted into what the plant needs and is no longer 'fertilizer'. So if you use a fertilizer on the soil, and not the kind that you spray on the leaves, I should think it would be ok for tortoise food.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
But if you use compost tea your plants grow better and increase the good Bactria in your soil that will help your plants grow ( veggies or weeds )

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I see. Thanks for the tips. I was planning to use the miracle grow formula but since it's the type that I sprinkle over then I guess I shouldn't use it. Ill look into the compost tea.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
All compost is decomposed veg matter : tree leaves that fall from trees ,mail that you get that has info. About you that you don't want others to see , table waist , stale beer or pop,and a little water and let ferment. Then after you age it for 3-6 months .and it becomes tea when you put it in25gal. Of water for 24 hrs and spray the water on your plants

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have some tortoise seed mix growing in an outdoor enclosure (i use plain topsoil for the subatrate) and was thinking of using plant food to help them grow bigger. I use the miracle grow plant food for growing veggies. Since it's safe for humans would it be safe for growing tortoise food?

If its made for veggies that will be eaten by humans, and the tortoise does not have access to the actual raw product, it should be fine. I mix all sorts of different types of fertilizers into my soils, but they are all either organic (like herbivore poop) or they are the type intended to grow veggies for human consumption. I do not do this in any of the tortoise enclosures where they will have access to it.