plant growing questions-rose of sharon, plantain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I learned that I have a few good plants in the backyard for feeding to the tortoises.

I just collected a lot of rose of Sharon leaves that just shook off the branch. I also see seed pods, some more ready than others.

I want to collect and plant these too but am wondering...
1. If I take them off the branch before they're opening and brown, with the little hairs on them and hard, will they grow if planted?
2. Do they grow well indoors or is it difficult?
3. How deep should they be planted?

Seeing myself collecting dandelions, plantain, hosta and rose of sharon from my yard, I'm worried I'm not doing so in a sustainable way and I'll overdo it and exhaust and wipe them out...is this possible or am I being paranoid and they'll grow back?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just transplanted some a few weeks ago along with some cactus inside to keep them going through the winter they seem to be doing good so far :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine that rose of sharon would not do well inside.

You could always try and grow them in pots.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Pete, there is NO WAY in hell that you can deplete your broad leaf plantain population! Before I bought torts, and realized they were a good food for them, I tried & tried & TRIED to get them out of my yard... NO LUCK! Definitely don't worry about those + I could send you a boat load of seeds if you need them! As far as the others... No clue! :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.