Plant ID please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
DSC_1937 - Copy - Copy.JPG

A lot of this plant is growing in the field where I like to collect tortoise food. I am wondering what it is, and if it is edible for the tortoises?

I searched Google and several other plant databases already. Couldn't find it.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that's a marijuana plant you got there.

Have. haha

Also, I wouldn't go back to that field, could be very dangerous. Where are you located?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Uhm, I'm pretty sure that is not a marijuana plant... the leaves might look like it, but the flowers are pale yellow. The field is located behind our church. The plants are about knee-high, and looking at google images of marijuana plants, they look absolutely nothing like the small plant growing in the field.
Funny that you say that though, the leaf does kinda look like pot. We are in WA state.

7oasty23 said:
I'm pretty sure that's a marijuana plant you got there.

Have. haha

Also, I wouldn't go back to that field, could be very dangerous. Where are you located?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
We'll have to wait for someone else who knows plants better, but I'm pretty confident in my opinion. They even have buds started. There are lots of different strains, and just because they are small means nothing. Someone could be trimming them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
7oasty23 said:
We'll have to wait for someone else who knows plants better, but I'm pretty confident in my opinion. They even have buds started. There are lots of different strains, and just because they are small means nothing. Someone could be trimming them.

Trust me on this ; that is no pot plant. Pot plants have a primitive flower that is composed of pistoles and no petals. Don't ask how I know.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
7oasty23 said:

Trust me on this ; that is no pot plant. Pot plants have a primitive flower that is composed of pistoles and no petals. Don't ask how I know.

I'm not doubting you, but it sure looks like a pot plant. The leaves, the little buds, if it's not then what is it? I've only seen them when they're small, and I'm just going off similarities. I know nothing about plants.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
biochemnerd808 said:
A lot of this plant is growing in the field where I like to collect tortoise food. I am wondering what it is, and if it is edible for the tortoises?

I searched Google and several other plant databases already. Couldn't find it.

Thank you!

Are the flowers bright yellow? When wet and in the sun do the flowers have a shiny look to them? And what about my earlier questions?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
I will check what the base looks like. They seem to grow in little groups, like maybe 5-10 plants close together. That probably has to do with where the seeds fall though.
The 'hand'-looking leaves grow close to the ground, and the leaves along the stem just have 1 jagged bit, rather than 3-5 like the one that some are thinking looks like pot (which I think it is nOT).

Cowboy_Ken said:
Does it grow from a crown type base or just individual stalks?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I've visited friends who have cannibis cards, pot that is growing, even at that size, smells like pot! Good speculation though. It seems like a fern family, but I glanced at it! I say, if you don't know what it is, don't fee it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
It has almost no smell. Even if I squish and rub the leaves between my fingers, it just smells faintly green.

I don't plan to feed it to the tortoises (I always err on the safe side), but now my curiosity is peaked!

Blake m said:
I've visited friends who have cannibis cards, pot that is growing, even at that size, smells like pot! Good speculation though. It seems like a fern family, but I glanced at it! I say, if you don't know what it is, don't fee it.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
It has almost no smell. Even if I squish and rub the leaves between my fingers, it just smells faintly green.

I don't plan to feed it to the tortoises (I always err on the safe side), but now my curiosity is peaked!

Blake m said:

Definitely not marijuana if it doesn't smell. I've been looking at a bunch of sites, and I can't find anything. It sure looks like pot though, especially the leaf.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Good sir! I don't think it was marjuanna at all, okay maybe slightly with the leafs. But if it didn't smell even a 10 feet away, which I wAs around 15 feet away while using the restroom, then it's not!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
The flowers are a lighter yellow than a dandelion e.g. - more pale yellow. The petals are very thin, almost translucent. Not shiny (not succulent).

I will check whether they grow out of a crown base or individual stalks tomorrow.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Are the flowers bright yellow? When wet and in the sun do the flowers have a shiny look to them? And what about my earlier questions?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I too has some plants that needs to be IDed please:

1) ImageUploadedByTortForum1370506898.651390.jpg

2) ImageUploadedByTortForum1370506924.263351.jpg

3) ImageUploadedByTortForum1370506970.951149.jpg

I wanted to know if they are toxic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Jlant85 said:

1)

2)

3)

The first one is called "chicks and hens", it's a succulent. It can be eaten.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Blake m said:
Jlant85 said:

1)

2)

3)

The first one is called "chicks and hens", it's a succulent. It can be eaten.

Omg I have had my tort for a year and I have tons! I mean tons at home!!! Thank you!

redbeef

5 Year Member
Blake m said:

ferns are not flowering plants, so it's not a fern...and it's definitely not cannabis (marijuana), either

Status
Not open for further replies.