Planting "feed in moderation plants"

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I had a question regarding planting my RF's enclosure with plants that should be fed in moderation, mostly succulents. I have jade, aloe, xmas cactus, and hens and chicks which all fall under that category.

Is the best way to go about it to just try it out and see how often they are munching at it, and take it out if it becomes excessive?

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have used all those mentioned and my red foot has only taken the occasional bite, nothing of dietary significance. The plants do get trampled and pushed around, but I think of that as a exercise/ hobby. Also the additional cover seems to be appreciated. I've had great luck with prayer plant and spider plant for all of the above purposes as well.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
A question: did you just recently purchase them at a store? I think I've read that you really need to wait for a while (1 year+) to put succulents in a tort enclosure if purchasing the plant(s) from a store. I guess reason being that succulents tend to hold everything in their thick, waxy leaves longer which includes toxins from pesticides and fertilizers. Other than that, I'd say put every tort-safe plant you can think of in the enclosure. If they seem to munch on them like crazy, then you can always keep it in a pot well above tort level to still provide humidity and sight barriers. Plus, if they eat 'em, at least you're providing additional healthy food sources. I always take cuttings off many of my houseplants just in case.

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info. I do have some spider plants in there right now, my tort munched them until they were beyond his reach and hasn't paid much attention since.

To answer your question, none of these plants came from the store. I will be using cuttings from plants that I have propagated myself over the years on distilled water and rain while outside.

Im excited to get a nice variety of foliage in his chambers.