Planting Opuntia Cochenillifera...advice PLEASE!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I just acquired these variegated beauties and was wondering...the lady that gave them to me twisted them off at the areole! She says they can go right in the ground that way. Is this true? Or should I slice an inch off and let it scar over...to give it more of a rooting base...

IMG_7291[1].JPG

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
plant as is but let them scar over for about two weeks before you plant.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I just acquired these variegated beauties and was wondering...the lady that gave them to me twisted them off at the areole! She says they can go right in the ground that way. Is this true? Or should I slice an inch off and let it scar over...to give it more of a rooting base...

@Yvonne G since I know the extent of your succulents, perhaps your opinion matters most!

@rearlpettway I know you've done some great things with individual pads...enlighten me!

@Turtulas-Len I know you're right up there with Yvonne, so I'd value your input, as well!

@Tom I'm not including you because all you do is put it in the ground and watch the explosion...WOW! ;)

View attachment 151655

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

@Yvonne G since I know the extent of your succulents, perhaps your opinion matters most!

@rearlpettway I know you've done some great things with individual pads...enlighten me!

@Turtulas-Len I know you're right up there with Yvonne, so I'd value your input, as well!

@Tom I'm not including you because all you do is put it in the ground and watch the explosion...WOW! ;)

View attachment 151655

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just like the other opuntia variety is how I've treated these. I do notice it grows a lot slower though. But my little plants (so far about 8-9 pads) are in pots. Usually around that size I'll move to a bigger pot. This varietied species does not do well with colder temps, which we get in north Texas. Not certain if mine is the same species as yours. Mine came from Veracruz Mexico.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because the joint is such a small area, it won't take long to harden. I wouldn't put the right into the ground, but rather give them a day or two to dry.

Roots can form anyplace on that pad. If you were to lay a pad on moistened soil, roots will develop where the pad is touching the ground. So no need to make a fresh cut.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do notice it grows a lot slower though.

Hey @DeanS ! Let's plant some at my place and test Kelly theory here! Do you have enough to share a couple of pads? You are ing over do for a visit anyway. I just discovered the Sudans digging to China today. And Mr. Silver is a confirmed male. Still don't know the others yet.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
@DeanS My growing season is basically over for this year, but if it wasn't I would put it in the ground as is.Being a more tender type of opuntia I couldn't plant it in the ground permanently anyway. But earlier today I harvested some of my cold hardy spine-less opuntia to replant in different areas, and send some to Oregon.cut cactus2.jpg I didn't twist but I did cut it where the twist off would be.I am going to pot these so I can keep the soil warmer than ground temps this winter. cut cactus1.jpg I just found this type a couple years ago, It is quickly becoming my favorite for tort food because it's cold hardy and a pretty quick grower.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@DeanS My growing season is basically over for this year, but if it wasn't I would put it in the ground as is.Being a more tender type of opuntia I couldn't plant it in the ground permanently anyway. But earlier today I harvested some of my cold hardy spine-less opuntia to replant in different areas, and send some to Oregon.View attachment 151686 I didn't twist but I did cut it where the twist off would be.I am going to pot these so I can keep the soil warmer than ground temps this winter. View attachment 151685 I just found this type a couple years ago, It is quickly becoming my favorite for tort food because it's cold hardy and a pretty quick grower.
I've had 2 pads in pots for about 3wks now. How long will it take on average before I see some action? Also how often should I water them? Thanks.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+

View attachment 151655
Those are gorgeous! I wish you well in your planting.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've had 2 pads in pots for about 3wks now. How long will it take on average before I see some action? Also how often should I water them? Thanks.
I don't know the answer to your question, It depends on several factors, type, temps, sunlight, also are they inside or outside ? What I pot up this time of year wont show any new growth until next spring at the earliest, but hopefully they will start a nice root system . I don't usually water. the pads that I try to root over winter I, but when it rains or snows they get wet that way.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't know the answer to your question, It depends on several factors, type, temps, sunlight, also are they inside or outside ? What I pot up this time of year wont show any new growth until next spring at the earliest, but hopefully they will start a nice root system . I don't usually water. the pads that I try to root over winter I, but when it rains or snows they get wet that way.
Thanks. Dont know what type I have. I have them indoors. One is looking rather limp. Time will tell.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When people establish a large acreage of opuntia they dig a gently slope trough and lay the pads to each side of the trough, with pads touching side to side. The roots grow out the sides as well as the base of the pad. The 'take' is high.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

How thick were the pads when you planted them? The thinner pads may 'bulk up' before you see any actual growth.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mine have grown well just planting them straight into the ground from being cut in the same place yours were.

I've noticed the same thing as Kelly with the ones I kept in pots. The ones in the ground grow like crazy, but that's probably the case with all opuntia.