Plants bought from a commercial nursery

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
This is more a rant about myself than anything else, but I just bought like $50 of plants from the home depot nursery, and didn't even consider that they could have pesticides! I feel like an absolute fool!

I planted tickseed and cornflower in my adult russian's enclosure, that he fortunately hasn't touched. I am going to take them out and wash them, and just leave them in as decorative. I have fed him about 5 hibiscus flowers, which I am hoping is not enough to hurt him...

I am really glad I noticed this before I started feeding these plants to the hatchling I am going to get in a couple weeks, though. Good thing I have been growing my own plants from seeds too!

The large nurseries should really disclose the fact that their plants have pesticides that make them inedible to animals though. Maybe I just became an environmentalist? Haha

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Oh and here’s a lovely photo of him eating some (I guess) toxic hibiscus..

Attachments

• D96CE1DD-983B-4A54-ABDB-1AA3910903F9.jpeg
    D96CE1DD-983B-4A54-ABDB-1AA3910903F9.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is more a rant about myself than anything else, but I just bought like $50 of plants from the home depot nursery, and didn't even consider that they could have pesticides! I feel like an absolute fool!

I planted tickseed and cornflower in my adult russian's enclosure, that he fortunately hasn't touched. I am going to take them out and wash them, and just leave them in as decorative. I have fed him about 5 hibiscus flowers, which I am hoping is not enough to hurt him...

I am really glad I noticed this before I started feeding these plants to the hatchling I am going to get in a couple weeks, though. Good thing I have been growing my own plants from seeds too!

The large nurseries should really disclose the fact that their plants have pesticides that make them inedible to animals though. Maybe I just became an environmentalist? Haha
The plants you bought are not intended for consumption. They are just supposed to look pretty and not get eaten by bugs. The pesticidal mandates are supposed to protect the agricultural industries, so we are told. Many have made this mistake, including me in the past. Don't beat yourself up. Just be glad you know now, and tell other tortoise keepers.