Plants for leopard outdoor enclosure

Ryan L.

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
I am planning on a new outdoor enclosure for my leo. I did a little research on the forum and had some ideas: pampas, fescue, clover? I am not sure... I heard that pampas grass are not suited for cold regions...

Happytort27

CA
The Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply is a great seed mix that sprouts really quickly. It’s quite hardy once it grows bigger. I planted this mix in my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure, and it’s really taken off! You can also check out other seed mixes they sell that include a variety of grass. Carolina Pet Supply also sells a Russian tortoise seed mix. Although, it contains a lot of grass, which is considered a “filler” since it’s cheaper and would take up the majority of the mix. But, if you’re wanting some grasses along with other weeds, this is a great one as well. Of course, you additionally can order other mixes from Amazon. You can also search up some safe flowers to grow to make the enclosure pretty haha. Spirea is a hardy plant, and I especially recommend it for people who are just getting into gardening. Squash leaves, grape leaves, cucumber leaves, Campanula, Aster, pansies, African violet, Coreopsis, rose mallow, hibiscus, Evening Primrose, the list is endless! You can also find some safe weeds growing in your backyard and transplant them into the enclosure. For example, sowthistle, dandelion, hawksbit, clover, and plantain, are just a few so called ‘nuisance’ weeds that your tortoise can eat. Once the plants get going, your tortoise will love it!

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
The Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply is a great seed mix that sprouts really quickly. It’s quite hardy once it grows bigger. I planted this mix in my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure, and it’s really taken off! You can also check out other seed mixes they sell that include a variety of grass. Carolina Pet Supply also sells a Russian tortoise seed mix. Although, it contains a lot of grass, which is considered a “filler” since it’s cheaper and would take up the majority of the mix. But, if you’re wanting some grasses along with other weeds, this is a great one as well. Of course, you additionally can order other mixes from Amazon. You can also search up some safe flowers to grow to make the enclosure pretty haha. Spirea is a hardy plant, and I especially recommend it for people who are just getting into gardening. Squash leaves, grape leaves, cucumber leaves, Campanula, Aster, pansies, African violet, Coreopsis, rose mallow, hibiscus, Evening Primrose, the list is endless! You can also find some safe weeds growing in your backyard and transplant them into the enclosure. For example, sowthistle, dandelion, hawksbit, clover, and plantain, are just a few so called ‘nuisance’ weeds that your tortoise can eat. Once the plants get going, your tortoise will love it!
How’d you get the testudo mix to keep on growing? Once I start to trim mine to feed, it begins to die..

Happytort27

CA
How’d you get the testudo mix to keep on growing? Once I start to trim mine to feed, it begins to die..
That’s strange...do you trim the whole stalk or just leaves that looks limp or yellow? Sometimes I accidentally trim too close to the end of a stem and cut the new baby leaf growing in. Maybe that’s what’s causing it to die... Or you can just wait until it becomes bigger and more developed. Sprouts are often delicate and harder to handle. I waited until they matured a little more (like the picture below), then started to trim.3CC10214-F3AE-404A-AD5E-26D640588388.jpeg