plants for redfoot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edgerton, Minnesota
I am currently in the middle of buying my 2 redfoot tortoises and all the things needed for them. I have about a month before they will be at my home and am trying to get everything figured out for their enclosures before hand so I can test the temps and humidity. I have looked at many sites as to what plants I can plant in their enclosures. I always see mosses and grasses and hostas planted in their indoor habitats, but nowhere does it say what kinds are best to use, or safe to use. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of moss, grass, or hostas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sasha:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

I'll leave your questions for a more redfoot-friendly person to answer. But I'd love to see your habitat when you get it set up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A lot of people use frog moss in their RF and box turtle habitats.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum) and pothos (Epipremnum species) are great! There's really no right or wrong hosta, they're all good from what I can tell. The only thing I'd be cautious of is where you purchase your plants from. Most large chain stores apply systemic pesticides in their plant soils, so the foliage will retain chemicals for some time. If you change their potting soil and let them sit for a month or so, they'll be fine.

It's funny I say all this. I bought some pothos and hostas from Home Depot and stuck them directly into the enclosure. My hatchlings ate some leaves and I removed them for a while to let them "detoxify". I never saw any ill effects, but it's better to error on the side of caution with these things.

Another thing about soil, look out for the white spongy things they put in there for moisture retention. Your hatchling(s) could eat it out of curiosity and get impactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.