Plants in indoor enclosure

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Looking for decor ideas and right now the UV light is pretty harsh in the enclosure. Redfoot tort is a big girl so I am trying to steer away from fake plants and her potentially eating them.

Any thoughts on plants that are safe for a tortoise that just don't taste great, and that she may leave alone?

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
Looking for decor ideas and right now the UV light is pretty harsh in the enclosure. Redfoot tort is a big girl so I am trying to steer away from fake plants and her potentially eating them.

Any thoughts on plants that are safe for a tortoise that just don't taste great, and that she may leave alone?
Oh. You said leave alone

Hmmmm I can tell you all the plants they will eat, but I will think about what they will not eat.

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
My tortoises won't eat "sword grass" they just love to hide in it but you need a pretty big enclosure to have that inside

Rogue097

Tennessee
Hi! I’ve read from tortoise table and somewhere else that many herbs are safe but tortoises will not likely eat them because of the strong smell. I have rosemary and thyme plants in my enclosure. He will crawl under them and smell them sometimes but I’ve only seen him nibble at one once and he was done

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
My leopard will eat Will’s dehydrated violets but not the plants in his enclosure.

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
I second using herbs. I have thyme and they love to sit under it, but don't eat it. Although the plants in my enclosure only survive for about a month until they die. But that's because I'm doing something wrong, not the torts!