Plants Redfoots don't like to eat?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
So, I'm trying to plant some foliage under my canopy that has formed over my redfoot pen. I want to fill in some empty space below/around the trees so they have cover to hide under, and to give the pen more of a jungle/rain forest look.

Of course, I don't want to add toxic plants and I'm also adding plants that they can graze on (rose bushes, grass), but I'm also sort of looking for plants the redfoots will leave alone with minimal protective measures. Or plants that are strong/tall enough to avoid their reach.

So far I've come up with smaller banana trees (different variations), monkey grass possibly, maybe a couple parlor palms, and possibly a few large bromeliads by the fountain. I have read that tortoises are not huge fans of monkey grass, palms, or bromeliads, but all are considered safe.

Can anyone share their experiences with the above listed plants? Also, if you have any other ideas that may fit well with my situation, I would appreciate the input!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
My Redfoots eat just about anything and everything with the exception of snake plants. These plants are tall and tough and make great sight line breakers. They come in green and variegated. I also have spider plants in heavy pots, as the blades grow they lay over and are pruned/grazed on.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
My Redfoots eat just about anything and everything with the exception of snake plants. These plants are tall and tough and make great sight line breakers. They come in green and variegated. I also have spider plants in heavy pots, as the blades grow they lay over and are pruned/grazed on.

I've been reading about snake plants too! Thanks! With so many restrictions I'm placing on my plant selection, it can be quite difficult to find anything.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I've got pothos, wandering Jew, and mint planted in Darwin's enclosure ... he nibbles on all of them, and I replace them when they get too ragged looking.

Jamie