Plastron Fungal Infection? *Picture*

TheWaveCarver

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Im a new owner of a Cherryhead Tortoise I've had the tortoise for three weeks now. The substrate was somewhat moist, definitely not wet... although in his hide he burrowed down to damp, wet substrate.

During his daily soak I noticed that he had a white spot on his plastron. I was able to wipe away the wait to reveal what looked like an abrasion and then applied some anti fungal cream. Does this look like fungus?

His enclosure has some fungus growing on the wooden walls, could this be the cause? I was under the impression that the tortoise aren't bothered by fungus. Thanks!

The white spot is on the upper left of the plastron, near the arm.

20181001_185405.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ Very difficult to see exactly what you are trying to show.
IMG_9938.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use an antifungal cream on it if you think there is something to worry about or if it gets worse.

TheWaveCarver

New York
is there such thing as too much mold in a tortoise enclosure? Not sure what to do about the mold growing on the walls. I can just wipe it down every 2 weeks.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I had mold growing in my RF babies’ tank twice, both times I ended up getting rid of the items that attracted the mold. Personally I don’t like mold growing in baby tort enclosure. Plus, mine was a closed chamber with ambient temps of 80-81F with the exception of their hides where the probes always read 79F. My baby RFs grew very healthy, active and eating well. I also kept humidity at 90% and more but the substrate surface wasn’t wet. Always double-triple check your temps. I think mold growing is a sign of some imbalance in that mini ecosystem

TheWaveCarver

New York
~ Very difficult to see exactly what you are trying to show.
View attachment 253133

I circled the area in the original pictures and included a screenshot of the area enlarged. I ditched the zoomed tortoise enclosure and purchased a large plastic bin last night. The wooden zoomed enclosure got super moldy... I'll have to coat it with a reptile aafe sealant and then use it.

I also removed a wooden hide and some extraneous wood pieces. I lifted up the wooden hide last night to reveal LOTS of mold. His new enclosure as of last night has a plastic hide and plastic enclosure. Any wood is out in the direct light to prevent mold growth.

I'm gonna drop the temps a bit I think... mine are closer to 86F ambient. Humidity should still be above 90% and I will be careful to make sure I'm not overwetting the substrate. I think it was a bit too wet and much too moldy.

Attachments

• 20181002_132821.jpg
    20181002_132821.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20181001-203705.png
    Screenshot_20181001-203705.png
    2 MB · Views: 21