Plastron fungus - advise needed!

EryninCebu

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hello everyone,

Please have a look at the plastron of Drew and provide suggestions on how to best treat the dry white areas as shown on the photo. From reading and looking at all the other post, I understand that this is a fungus issue, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I have done what was suggested, 2 x betadine + 1 week anti-fungal cream daily treatment, but I don't think the fungus is eradicated yet. I also make sure that he is kept dry to prevent the fungus from spreading/getting worse.
Drew is about 9 months old now, I bought him from a local captive breeder 6 months ago. The fungus was already there since I got him but I just didn't know that it was a fungus until after browsing through the post on this forum. He also had RI shortly after I bought him, I was able to successfully get this treated - THANKS to this forum and the support I receive from the breeder here.
NOTE: Drew is eating very well and is very active, he's enjoying a high variety diet of veggies, fruits and protein (about 60 different types, not including the weeds he picks on in the garden about 2-3 times a week). We live in Philippines so the humidity here is mostly high (ranging between 70-90%)
I also included a 2nd photo just to share, the black lines in between the scutes were formed after I got him, I was delighted that they are very smooth to touch :)
Thank you everyone!

IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0001.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have quite a few threads on shell rot/shell fungus. You can find them easily by using the 'search' feature.

EryninCebu

Philippines
We have quite a few threads on shell rot/shell fungus. You can find them easily by using the 'search' feature.
I did, I have searched all over, I probably have seen every single one. That was why I don't understand what to do after following the treatment instructions, the dry spots on the plastron looks like dry "skin", I also read that I can use a plastic card to scrape it off, but it didn't work. That was why I posted the photo to see that it may be something else? I need the expert eyes of the people from this forum.
Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you treat shell fungus, it dies pretty quickly. But the healing takes a long time. I just see the normal,wrinkly plastron growth of a young Redfoot with some water and mineral staining. Nothing to be at all alarmed about.
I think your animal is in better shape than you think it is.
Relax and just take a look at the area about once a week and see that it does slowly improve.
Applying more cream will do no harm.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Keeping him dry will cause more pyramiding. Perhaps keeping him humid like they're meant to be kept and use the anti fungals regularly as a preventative?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello everyone,

Please have a look at the plastron of Drew and provide suggestions on how to best treat the dry white areas as shown on the photo. From reading and looking at all the other post, I understand that this is a fungus issue, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I have done what was suggested, 2 x betadine + 1 week anti-fungal cream daily treatment, but I don't think the fungus is eradicated yet. I also make sure that he is kept dry to prevent the fungus from spreading/getting worse.
Drew is about 9 months old now, I bought him from a local captive breeder 6 months ago. The fungus was already there since I got him but I just didn't know that it was a fungus until after browsing through the post on this forum. He also had RI shortly after I bought him, I was able to successfully get this treated - THANKS to this forum and the support I receive from the breeder here.
NOTE: Drew is eating very well and is very active, he's enjoying a high variety diet of veggies, fruits and protein (about 60 different types, not including the weeds he picks on in the garden about 2-3 times a week). We live in Philippines so the humidity here is mostly high (ranging between 70-90%)
I also included a 2nd photo just to share, the black lines in between the scutes were formed after I got him, I was delighted that they are very smooth to touch :)
Thank you everyone!

View attachment 241572 View attachment 241573

I don't see anything?

EryninCebu

Philippines
Keeping him dry will cause more pyramiding. Perhaps keeping him humid like they're meant to be kept and use the anti fungals regularly as a preventative?
Humidity here is very high, mostly at 80%, so I'm not too worried about that.

EryninCebu

Philippines
You can always retreat with cream. It looks like remenants of a fungal infection and may go away on its own but retreating won’t hurt him.
Okay, will observe for a few days and see, then follow the advise of repeating the treatment if it's not getting better. Thank you

EryninCebu

Philippines
If you treat shell fungus, it dies pretty quickly. But the healing takes a long time. I just see the normal,wrinkly plastron growth of a young Redfoot with some water and mineral staining. Nothing to be at all alarmed about.
I think your animal is in better shape than you think it is.
Relax and just take a look at the area about once a week and see that it does slowly improve.
Applying more cream will do no harm.
Thank you for taking a look at the photo :) Many of you are more experience than I am, I just need to make sure that Drew will be alright as he's very much my baby. And yes, apart from the dry spots I also think Drew is doing very well, he eats so much better than when I first got him, just want to prevent any scare like when I found out he had RI about 5 months ago.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Humidity here is very high, mostly at 80%, so I'm not too worried about that.
Your avatar shows a smooth tortoise but now 7 or 8 months later he's showing a considerable amount of pyramiding for his age. I suspect the air where he's being kept doesn't have nearly as much moisture as you think. A bunch of folks here use foggers or humidifiers...if left to continue you could have a funky looking tort when he's all grown...
Funky looking isn't bad but it distorts the overall shape of the torts. I have a rescue that is so top heavy from pyramiding that he can't right himself if he gets flipped.