Please can someone help! ASAP (ridge on plastron)

Lauren-peggy

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all,

im in self isolation and have today noticed that my hermanns tortoise plastron has got a ridge running theough the middle.

is this normal?! I think not but very scared as i cant get to a vets!

F3540818-6811-4B11-BBD0-15E80DE03CC1.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Don’t worry about running to a vet for something like this. Upload a few pix of the top of your tort & its enclosure too.

Take a thorough read of this care guide..

Lauren-peggy

London
Don’t worry about running to a vet for something like this. Upload a few pix of the top of your tort & its enclosure too.

Take a thorough read of this care guide..

83D1DBB3-F0F8-4AC9-89C0-208662D1D7D5.jpeg49482139-1D2C-40F5-A5E5-D479EE01EE4E.jpeg

Lauren-peggy

London
I cant go to the vets myself as I have a family member with the virus.
Do you think she needs to go to the vets?! If so i will try to get someone to pick her up!
im worried sick!

9132400A-C63E-4EAC-8795-221C7E2B7B2C.jpeg4F151598-D2F9-47B3-A007-70FF4D299480.jpegA4107112-C8B1-49BF-B8CB-A9FB9DC68CEC.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That looks like your tortoise is just too dry and dehydrated. The substrate you are using is extremely desiccating and will not hold any moisture. Tortoises need moisture and moderate humidity. They naturally want to push under bushes where it is moist and/or dig into the ground a bit to get to the soil that is more damp.

Do you soak/bathe your tortoise regularly? I would think probably not by the look of the plastron, so that may be contributing to the problem. What I see you feeding is also not good food for a Hermanns. Lettuce and strawberries is not a good diet. So if that is indicative of what you normally feed, please take some time and read through the care sheets here in the Mediterranean section and I know some changes will make a big difference.

A trip to the vet will not help. You need to make some changes and ASAP get your tortoise better hydrated.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
No vet visit required (IMHO). BUT, I think your enclosure could use lots of tweaks & improvements.

Give your tort a nice daily warm soak for starters.

Id remove those rabbit pellets (substrate) that you have.

Make sure you read & change things per the care sheet I provided. No need to panic.

Lauren-peggy

London
Thank you all!
I currently bathe her every other day, but will start doing this daily.
The substrate was tortoise recommended! But I will remove first thing tomorrow and replace with soil! I typically feed her dark green leaves such as rocket, cabbage, etc and only lettuce occasionally but will stop this and feed as per the sheet - Thank you!!!!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
I just recently switched my substrate from soil and cocoa coir to orchid bark (also known as fir bark). What a huge difference it makes. Humidity levels way up after pouring water over it and the mess is very minimal. It seems to be the most recommended substrate used by the pros on here and it’s super easy. I, on the other hand have a Russian, so sorry if this doesn’t apply to your tort. I’m sure someone could chime in on weather I’m right or wrong, good luck!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Thank you all!
The substrate was tortoise recommended! But I will remove first thing tomorrow and replace with soil! I typically feed her dark green leaves such as rocket, cabbage, etc and only lettuce occasionally but will stop this and feed as per the sheet - Thank you!!!!

Yes. Get rid of those pellets....worst substrate in the world for torts!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you all!

Soil is messy and you don't know what else might be in it. I only use fir bark as mentioned above. I feel by far the best substrate.

Lauren-peggy

London
I just recently switched my substrate from soil and cocoa coir to orchid bark (also known as fir bark). What a huge difference it makes. Humidity levels way up after pouring water over it and the mess is very minimal. It seems to be the most recommended substrate used by the pros on here and it’s super easy. I, on the other hand have a Russian, so sorry if this doesn’t apply to your tort. I’m sure someone could chime in on weather I’m right or wrong, good luck!
Thank you all so much for your help, will get online today and order alternative substrates.
Thank You ?

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
Ok, so I looked up what substrata you said you have... Tortoise Terrain by Pets at home. it is not rabbit alfalfa pellets, or sand, it just needs a little help. Start with about a pint of good old H2O.... soak that soil (it might need more), then get some coco coir to mix with it you are probably gonna want a 1:1 mix to hold the moisture. the limestone is mixed with soil in your particular blend probably with the thought that digging in it will help control the claw length, meh. If your habitat is open topped you will probably need to add about a pint of water daily to keep the humidity up. Little torties need a LOT more humidity than most adults do. When my RF were in a small habitat I used a couple of the zooMed light fixture stands to hold up a clear plastic table cloth (tent style) to help keep the humidity in and still be able to see them.

Keep up the learning and loving your baby!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all!

What type of soil do you plan on getting?

Lauren-peggy

London
What type of soil do you plan on getting?

Hi All,

since this thread peggys tanks has been replaced with a mixture of coco coir and fir bark! Also have a new thermometer that displays humidity so she is now getting the humidity she needs. Have been bathing her daily now and spraying the tank daily! She is no where near as dry now as she was.

Thank You

Attachments

• CCF7C216-1024-4319-8416-639250EB478D.jpeg
    CCF7C216-1024-4319-8416-639250EB478D.jpeg
    845.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3F164A4F-9AB1-406D-880A-B4DF5B339261.jpeg
    3F164A4F-9AB1-406D-880A-B4DF5B339261.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8