PLEASE Can someone help me with good advice!!! (tortoise vomiting)

Cecil the Tortoise

My african sulcata is not acting like himself I think he might hav eaten something bad because he has thrown up twice in 12 hours and will not eat ... If he gets any worse I will have to take him to emergency vet but I really can NOT afford this right now can someone PLEASE give advice to help out my tortoise...!!!!!

Cecil the Tortoise

Also he sleeps in side the house with a proper heat lamp and only goes outside to his enclosed cage during proper weather I live in Sunny San Diego so he has many proper days but two days ago it was windy and something might hav gotten in his cage..... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!'

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Have you soaked him in warm water? What have you tried to feed him ? Are his eyes clear?

Cecil the Tortoise

Ok no I hav not ... I know he likes this but why would I do it now ... Will it help also will he get sick since it's nighttime .., please respond I REALLY APPRECIATE UT FEEDBACK!!!! Also should his room that he sleeps in remain the same tempature,??

Cecil the Tortoise

He will not eat today but his daily diet is dark green lettuce ... A little banana and some fresh cooked yams but all in small portions

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
First tell us more about his indoor house. What are the 4 temps (hot side, basking area, cool side and over night low). What humidity do you keep and what is the age of your tort? What do you feed and how often do you soak? Pictures are worth a thousand words so take some and post up. Is it possible that he ate someone bad while outdoors?
What type of UVB lamp do you have?

For now give some extra soaks in warm water to keep him from getting dehydrated and be ready to do baby food soaks. That's where you mid 50/50 baby food with water. Usually carrots or squash so that can soak up extra vitamin A.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I really don't know what to tell you to do. That diet doesn't sound too good, but that may not be causing the discomfort. I would do what Tortdad has suggested. Soak in warm water, maybe in the bath tub. It should be keep warm - around 90°. The room should also be warm. At least 80°. Even 85°. The idea is to get him well hydrated, so you want him to drink as much as possible.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Clear eyes question means is there any discharge from them or not. Sometimes a sign of dehydration or other irritation.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He's a big boy who does not belong inside at all. He needs a night box outside with a heater in it. He should be eating the grass and weeds from your yard not the stuff you've been feeding him. Have you read the care shirt from the member named Tom?

I have a 125lb sulcata named Hal. Inside living poses many many hazards like eating a fuzz ball off the floor. That cage he has in your room is not a good set up. Your room may be warm but it's not as warm as you think at floor level and that lamp is not going to warm his body core up.

I would do anything tonight except try to find a way to make him warmer and tomorrow soak him. Maybe you can get him into the shower with you or something. Do you see any bubbles coming from his nose?