PLEASE Can someone help me with good advice!!! (tortoise vomiting)

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Are you noticing anything in his vomit

Is he acting differently in any other way

Cecil the Tortoise

No there are no bubbles we are soaking him right now in warm water how often should I do this for the next few days while he is sick and how often should I soak him in warm water when he is well .... I'm uploading pics right now of his outdoor cage that he goes into everyday between April and September and only 4 days between months of October and March

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He doesn't seem like he is in immediate danger. Vomiting is a rare occurrence. They are not built to do that. Maybe whatever was irritating him has been expelled. I would soak him every day for a few days to make sure he is well hydrated. After that he should have drinking water available to him all the time. Just so you know, I live in North County and my tortoise goes outside almost every day and grazes. Today in the rain, in fact, he was out for about and hour munching. Does he go into that cage by himself, because that doesn't look like a place a sulcata would choose to go on his own.

Cecil the Tortoise

This is his liaise cage sorry cloudy picture I just took picture and it is nigjttime here right now uhopefully u can see tha he has about 14 feet x 6 feet to roam around and connected to the chain linked fenced cage is a dog house that he sleeps in for a few hours and then when we get home around 4 pm we put him inside to his warm room and cage PLEASE PLEASE let me know anything and everything that we are doing wrong because we will correct our mistakes!!!

Cecil the Tortoise

YEAH !!!!!!! HE IS RESPONDING TO THE WARM BATH WATER !!! I always thought giving him a bath in the winter months would get him sick

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California

Cecil the Tortoise

THANK YOU ........ THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO GAVE ADVICE AS WELL AS THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO LOVES ANY ANIMAL!!!! Justin Peltier and Cecil the Tortoise from San Diego, California 91935

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
THANK YOU ........ THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO GAVE ADVICE AS WELL AS THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO LOVES ANY ANIMAL!!!! Justin Peltier and Cecil the Tortoise from San Diego, California 91935
That is a great area for raising sulcata. Did you see Cecil drink while he was soaking?

Cecil the Tortoise

Yes Cecil was drinking while soaking he is acting 10000000000 percent better thank you so much everyone ... Good night to all .. Bye. P.S. - if all of u were around during the time of the "Great Flood" and "Noah's Ark" ... I'm sure Noah would have picked each one of u up and given u a fee boat ride as well!!! "Good night"

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He didn't eat dog poop did he? Because if you have a dog on heart worm meds this is poisonous to tortoises . Or he may have a stick or something stuck in his throat . If he is drinking thats good . Get cactus or aloe vera . This will make him poop . You can buy this from a Spanish market . Then you need to keep him warm 85 at night and a basking temperature of 100 . The fruits you have been feeding can wash the good bacteria out of his stomach . So no more fruits . Grasses and weeds only . Get some mazuri and feed soaked in water once a week . Then after he is all better build him an outdoor heated box . Like the ones in Tom's threads tortdad posted . Hope everything turns out ok .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like he might have eaten something a little toxic or possibly ate a bee and gotten stung. Hopefully he will be just fine.

Glad you found us. Your tortoise needs some help with housing and feeding. Over head heat bulbs like what you are using tend to "slow burn" the carapaces of large tortoises who sleep under them.

Your tortoise needs a much larger enclosure, like the whole yard, and instead of the dog house, he needs something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Its also time for Cecil to be introduced to grass and a better diet. Lots of suggestions here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
You need to cut out the fruit. Its not good for them. A little yam once in a while is okay mixed in with a lot of other stuff like grass, weeds and leaves, but it should be raw and grated. At his size, grass or grass hay, should be a large portion of the diet.

I'm really glad he's feeling better and hoping for a full recovery. And WELCOME to the forum. Hope you stick around.

Cecil the Tortoise

Ok I'm back the owner of Cecil ... We went to check in on him in his room where he sleeps in his cage and he is majorly throwing up right now .... Should we take him to emergency room (financially I would like to find help before having to spend a pretty penny at the vet) or is there something I can do to help him

Cecil the Tortoise

image.jpg Ok immediately after he threw up 4 times all of a sudden he seemed to be full of life and not sick anymore because he was jamming and walking at a fast pace all around the house.. Ok .. Sorry for the scare .. Good night all.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Are you finding anything in his vomit?

I WOULD go to the vet but NOT and ER vet, unless you call ahead and find out that they have an exotic doc on hand that is familiar with tortoises. Docs who aren't up to speed and specialize in torts can over medicate and kill your tortoise. A lot of the stuff they teach in vet school is old outdated info so someone not familiar with torts is going to dust off their old vet books and most likely try and give your tort a Vitamin A injection, which can kill your guy. Do an Internet search an find and exotic vet and call to make sure they have experience with Sulcata tortoises. Good luck because it sounds like your buddy has eaten something it shouldn't have. Be prepared for blood work and X-rays.