924 KB · Views: 106

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I checked it out. Interesting concept.

I agree with most of the info, but someone should tell him that red bulbs are not the best way to go. Pretty good info outside of that one detail. I also noticed that the info is geared toward Testudo, but he sells leopards too. I hope he tells people the differences, because its not listed on the site. One other point of contention is that people should not be directly spraying the eggs with water, and certainly not on a given day. I like to carefully add a little water to the substrate upon pipping, but I would never spray water directly onto an egg, especially one that hasn't pipped yet. It would be especially bad to spray a leopard egg at day 60 since they don't hatch until day 110-ish.

He's doing very well with the marketing aspect, and that is one hell-of-a beach cart. Wow.

I'll be curious to see long term stats on hatch rates and success rates of clients starting babies. If people follow his guidelines, except for the red bulbs, they should be successful, but I wonder what the reality will be.

Thomas, Can you invite him here for conversation? I'll bet his business will skyrocket if he becomes a member of our community and people can ask him questions here. I'd recommend him after getting to know him a bit.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Tom appreciate your kind words. I have been a member here on tortoise forum for many years under the username Shellfreak. Tortstork is a new venture for me. Most of the information on my site is geared towards testudos. I should make a section for leopards and other species I breed. I just haven't got around to it. I "screen" people pretty well when they contact me to make sure they have everything the need depending on the species they get. I have a few eggs out there and all have seem to be going well so far. I've been lucky for sure with choosing what egg to ship. My biggest fear is the obvious, a non fertile egg. Im pretty up front with people interested in getting eggs and want them to know why I can't guarantee them.

I'm not doing this to crank out as many eggs as possible. I'm just trying to give people an opportunity if they are looking for it because no one would give me an opportunity when I was young and first getting into breeding.

Regarding the red lights, would love to hear why you suggest they are bad. I love to learn and would not want to put my hatchlings in any harm. I've been breeding tortoises for many many years and have used red heat lamps for convection heat and have not had any issues what so ever. I never use it as the only source of light. I always supply them with UVB. I also will use red brooder lamps inside hide boxes for my adults when fall comes around to allow some heat during cold nights.

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know, im always open for suggestions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom appreciate your kind words. I have been a member here on tortoise forum for many years under the username Shellfreak. Tortstork is a new venture for me. Most of the information on my site is geared towards testudos. I should make a section for leopards and other species I breed. I just haven't got around to it. I "screen" people pretty well when they contact me to make sure they have everything the need depending on the species they get. I have a few eggs out there and all have seem to be going well so far. I've been lucky for sure with choosing what egg to ship. My biggest fear is the obvious, a non fertile egg. Im pretty up front with people interested in getting eggs and want them to know why I can't guarantee them.

I'm not doing this to crank out as many eggs as possible. I'm just trying to give people an opportunity if they are looking for it because no one would give me an opportunity when I was young and first getting into breeding.

Regarding the red lights, would love to hear why you suggest they are bad. I love to learn and would not want to put my hatchlings in any harm. I've been breeding tortoises for many many years and have used red heat lamps for convection heat and have not had any issues what so ever. I never use it as the only source of light. I always supply them with UVB. I also will use red brooder lamps inside hide boxes for my adults when fall comes around to allow some heat during cold nights.

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know, im always open for suggestions.

Well no wonder you already know about the hydration thing and soaking babies daily! You've been a member here as long as I have!

I understand your thinking, and totally support your business idea. I hope you have great success at it, and I hope you'll keep us updated on the success of this venture.

About the red bulbs: I've encountered two main issues with turning their while world all red all the time:
1. It messes with their circadian rhythms. When I, and others, have used these bulbs the torts don't behave normally. They don't seem to know day from night and they don't do the normal day and night cycle that they should. Things work best when its bright during the day and dark at night. Their world shouldn't be all one color all the time. This also affects basking. Our indoor bulbs are meant to imitate the sun. The bright spot over there on the other side of the cage is where they should know to go warm up, and move away from the bright area when they are warm enough. The red bulbs interfere with this.
2. The second thing I see with these bulbs is that because everything is red, and tortoises like to eat red things, some tortoises will sample the substrate, plastic plants, or other inappropriate items, more than they should. I see it more commonly in tortoises that are fed mostly spring mix and lettuce, so fiber or calcium might also be a factor in this, but when someone comes on to the forum saying, "my tortoise is eating its substrate", there is almost alway a red or "infrared" bulb over it.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the red bulbs are an instant death sentence for any tortoise touched by the red light. I am saying they are not the best way to go, they cause problems in some situations, and my experience has taught me that there are better ways to go. I prefer white light during the day and a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain night and ambient heat, when needed. It is obvious that you've been doing this a while and it has worked for you, but it doesn't work for everyone. I would love for you to set up a baby tub my way right next to one done your way, and compare and contrast for us. I wonder if you will see a big difference in the vitality and vigor of your babies, or not much difference at all. It would be a good experiment and a good learning experience for me and the group here.

Either way, I will be recommending you as a seller from this point on, and I hope this new venture succeeds.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Wow, what an fascinating venture you have going there! I'd be very interested to here any updates regarding hatch rates. I know people do this with poultry eggs, but I never thought about it with chelonians.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Tom, thanks for your response. Not to get away from the vendors reviews. Maybe I will do that experiment, and start a new thread in the appropriate topic center. I have a few hatching this week. I might switch up my routine. I'll keep you posted.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Michael, thanks for the kind words. I'll keep you posted on the success. If there is a dream...there is a way.

It has been the most amazing Experience ever!!!!!!!!!. from the unboxing of the egg an seeing what a tortoise egg looks like for the first time to watching this egg develop Over time from chalking to candling an seeing a little embryo inside then going to buy all the supplies and enclosure. Now I can't wait until he/she starts piping out. It has been an easy process The hardest part is the waiting game lol but the outcome will be great. I want to thank tortstork for all they have done they've been great.

Lady's an gentleman we have a hatching Russian tortoise egg. when I'm holding I can feel him moving an scratching. Shellfreak is the owner tortstork he is a member here so if you're interested in an egg or hatchling send him a message

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705301.096014.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705301.096014.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705313.447359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705313.447359.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705327.077353.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504705327.077353.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 56