Please critique my redfoot care sheet!(picture heavy)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I totally would, but we have a set format for people to create care sheets, because members were creating sheets that were badly formatted, or didn’t have enough information. As an admin of the site, it would be a bit hypocritical to stray too far from it.(also, I’m way too lazy to go through the trouble of reformatting it, lol)
I hear what your saying but if I ever decided to raise a Sulcata I could quite easily look at Toms care sheet and succeed.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I
Just out of interest, have you ever checked the humidity levels out in the open sunlight.
I don't live there anymore. I live in Atlanta about 10 hours North of there but Completely different, colder, less suitable conditions for keeping them outside year round here.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The thing is the ground saturation level. Even when it hasn't rained. The heat brings up water with evaporation.
We have water everywhere. The everglades over here. Ocean over there. Also directly underground.
It's always humid.
Makes sense.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The thing is the ground saturation level. Even when it hasn't rained. The heat brings up water with evaporation.
We have water everywhere. The everglades over here. Ocean over there. Also directly underground.
It's always humid.
MISERABLY humid!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's always humid.
When your tortoises are out and about in high humidity are their carapaces dry??

tortoiseplanet

Earth
I think there is a difference between a wild tort coming in and out of dappled sunlight in high humidity than a captive tort sitting under artificial heat. Check your humidity under your heat source. The artificial heat dries out the immediate air below the heat source. On top of that your captive tort is fearless and is happy to sit there drying out.

My basking light turns on for 2 hours. 12am-1pm, 3pm-4pm. You’re definitely right, which is why I Input them at different times to prevent them from over basking. 30 min into each bask period (12:30am, 4:30pm) I turn on the rain water system to hydrate them and raise humidity. I used to use a humidifier, although I found rain water systems to work much more effectively and better mimic their natural environment.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I haven’t read through all the responses so excuse me if mentioned...

A hydrometer is for measuring the density of a liquid as in testing salinity. A hygrometer measures relative humidity. You want to change where you mention getting a hydrometer to hygrometer.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I haven’t read through all the responses so excuse me if mentioned...

A hydrometer is for measuring the density of a liquid as in testing salinity. A hygrometer measures relative humidity. You want to change where you mention getting a hydrometer to hygrometer.

Thank you, I’ll be sure to change it!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No
When your tortoises are out and about in high humidity are their carapaces dry??

No. It seems that they are usually kind of wet because they soak and swim a lot.
Usually in the damp shade areas during the sunlit part of the afternoon.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Does anyone have anything else to add? Or is it good to go?
(I can link the actual post here after I submit it, and I can still edit it. It just makes it public :) )

Trev1010

Florida
I keep a part of redfoots and they're thriving, they live in a 75x10 enclosure full planted, really enjoying the Florida sun. I would recommend changing that in your forum because keeping pairs is not, a detriment to their existence. I know from experience, thank you! And a very well done care sheet!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I went to a pet store today that I have not been to before. They had two rf's that live there full-time. They live in a little 4 foot by 3 foot enclosure. They had two regular spot bulbs and one che for heat. The only UVB they had was in the form of coil lights which I know are bad and where mounted an entire 7 ft high. I told a couple of the guys working about your care sheets, they actually spent a good 15 minutes looking over them on my phone. They seemed interested, so you may have helped these tortoises with your care sheets.20180519_171217.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I went to a pet store today that I have not been to before. They had two rf's that live there full-time. They live in a little 4 foot by 3 foot enclosure. They had two regular spot bulbs and one che for heat. The only UVB they had was in the form of coil lights which I know are bad and where mounted an entire 7 ft high. I told a couple of the guys working about your care sheets, they actually spent a good 15 minutes looking over them on my phone. They seemed interested, so you may have helped these tortoises with your care sheets.View attachment 239230
Nothing about that is good!
Redfoot...Tortoises in general are pretty tough and will live in lots of ways that aren't ideal.
Does that mean that everything is fine? No.
Most of us here today are contributing our latest, best findings to help others. Most of us kept tortoises in the past in less than ideal conditions. Myself included. Including keeping a pair in a too small of an enclosure during the 1990s for about 8 years.
Only later was I able to see that how they interacted, etc was very stressful for them both.
Back then, there was no one to talk to to ask questions, etc. Just some horrible old, outdated books.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Nothing about that is good!
Redfoot...Tortoises in general are pretty tough and will live in lots of ways that aren't ideal.
Does that mean that everything is fine? No.
Most of us here today are contributing our latest, best findings to help others. Most of us kept tortoises in the past in less than ideal conditions. Myself included. Including keeping a pair in a too small of an enclosure during the 1990s for about 8 years.
Only later was I able to see that how they interacted, etc was very stressful for them both.
Back then, there was no one to talk to to ask questions, etc. Just some horrible old, outdated books.
Yeah, it wasn't good. On one of them it's beak was very over grown. I'm not sure what they were feeding them but it look like just some sort of lettuce. The only positive I took away from the experience, we seemed to have a good conversation about improving their care. I was nervous to say anything at first, I figured they would just get offended and dismiss me. Hopefully they weren't just humoring me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, it wasn't good. On one of them it's beak was very over grown. I'm not sure what they were feeding them but it look like just some sort of lettuce. The only positive I took away from the experience, we seemed to have a good conversation about improving their care. I was nervous to say anything at first, I figured they would just get offended and dismiss me. Hopefully they weren't just humoring me.
It's great when someone is receptive to anyone trying to offer help. Just as often they will dismiss what you have to say. Thinking they already know it all because what they've been doing "works".

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I went to a pet store today that I have not been to before. They had two rf's that live there full-time. They live in a little 4 foot by 3 foot enclosure. They had two regular spot bulbs and one che for heat. The only UVB they had was in the form of coil lights which I know are bad and where mounted an entire 7 ft high. I told a couple of the guys working about your care sheets, they actually spent a good 15 minutes looking over them on my phone. They seemed interested, so you may have helped these tortoises with your care sheets.View attachment 239230

Oh my god, thank you for showing them! It’s so great to know that my care sheet might have saved some torts! [emoji1]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I keep a part of redfoots and they're thriving, they live in a 75x10 enclosure full planted, really enjoying the Florida sun. I would recommend changing that in your forum because keeping pairs is not, a detriment to their existence. I know from experience, thank you! And a very well done care sheet!

While it can definitely work in an enclosure as big as yours, and even sometimes in smaller, I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to that group. Most of the people on that site are in the age group of 11-16(me being no exception), and have no way to pay for such a large enclosure. Even then, there are very few people, especially tortoise keepers, on there that can handle the space, and it would likely be detrimental to their health.
Another thing is that I feel it would be a lot safer in a group, because then it’s almost guaranteed that any potential bullying will be spread out :)