Please help! Baby Hermann not eating/sleeping all day

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
I’m sorry to hear that things aren’t improving. Based on my inexperience and not knowing the quality of the exotics vet you‘re able to take her to, answering your question about the vet is outside of the realm of advice that I should be offering. I’m sending positive vibes your way and praying things will turn around as a result of the changes you’re making from the advice you’ve been given.

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
The temps as you listed are too cold... You don't have to agree but you would be making a mistake not listening to the sound advice you are receiving...

Hi, if you had read my above post, you'd see that I actually did listen to everyone's advice and I bought a space heater and the ceramic light for nighttime. Today the temp under the lamp was 95 and 80 on the cool side of the tank. I plan to leave the space heater on at night to keep the tank in the 70s. However, she still hasn't eaten today and I don't know what else to do...

All I want is for her to be healthy and as a new tortoise owner, I will gladly take any advice!

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
I’m sorry to hear that things aren’t improving. Based on my inexperience and not knowing the quality of the exotics vet you‘re able to take her to, answering your question about the vet is outside of the realm of advice that I should be offering. I’m sending positive vibes your way and praying things will turn around as a result of the changes you’re making from the advice you’ve been given.
I appreciate all your help! Hoping things turn around soon... I'll keep you posted

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
I wonder if her body has kicked into hibernation mode due to the cold temps. Hibernating torts can go a long time without eating. Would need someone’s opinion who is experienced in the area of hibernating torts.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Keep her at the higher temps. And continue the carrot/Pedialyte soaks. When you put her in to soak, does she drink any of it?

I still think a vet might really mess her up. Vitamin shots and antibiotics are hard on tortoises. If the vet does an x-ray, that would tell you if there was an impaction. Unfortunately, it costs a lot for vet care for torts.

I know she isn't eating, but has she pooped at all? Does she ever strain like she has to go but can't?

I'm going to tag our expert on all things Hermann...
@HermanniChris What do you suggest here?

Last edited:

jso

55*N, UK
As to the temps...your basking spot is a bit warm. When you read the care sheet you will see the recommended temps. The basking area should be 95deg. During the day, all the rest of the enclosure should be 80-85. That's in every nook and cranny, even the areas farthest away from the basking spot. Finally, the nighttime low should be in the lower 70's all night long. So your tort is getting way too cold at night. Then he basks, and then most of his remaining space is also cold, by his standards. Have you measured the temp at tortoise level, daytime, in the back corners away from both lamps?

You asked about nighttime heat...you could use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). They screw into a lamp socket and provide heat, but no light.

Keep us up to date...I really care about your little friend.

Agreed that the basking spot is a little too warm, evidenced by the tortoise preferring to keep away from being right under it. And here’s the key to keeping Mediterranean tortoises. They actually benefit from having a temperature gradient available to them, so they can thermoregulate by themselves. And in their natural range they’d experience a night time drop in temperature. (Night temperatures down to upper 50s would not be unusual)

I would have thought that a tortoise kept in an open topped enclosure in a CH room, so that daytime ambient temperatures are (probably) in the mid 70s, with a basking light so they can raise their core temperature to 90-95*, should be fine. They’re also fine with night time temperatures dropping to normal room temperatures (assuming that the CH is off) which might be 59* or even less, as long as the daytime ambient temperatures in the room/enclosure encourage them to wake up and come and bask, then feed etc.[/QUOTE]

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
good news! She's way more active and lively today since I got the temps right and changed the substrate. She still hasn't eaten in over a week or pooped in a few days, but I'm more hopeful today. How long can a 3 month old tortoise go without food? I'm still doing carrot soaks and she does drink from it, so she's getting some caloric intake.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
good news! She's way more active and lively today since I got the temps right and changed the substrate. She still hasn't eaten in over a week or pooped in a few days, but I'm more hopeful today. How long can a 3 month old tortoise go without food? I'm still doing carrot soaks and she does drink from it, so she's getting some caloric intake.
Keep doing the carrot soaks and always put her in front of fresh food right after the soak. Torts can go a while but it is smart to be cautious and very observant. Is it possible she eats when you are not watching?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I agree with Blackdog...keep doing the soaks! You could even do 2 a day if your schedule permits. Also, try to entice her with something irresistable...maybe a bit of strawberry? Or a flower?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m happy to hear she’s more active today. Have you been tracking her weight? Has there been a significant decrease or is it remaining steady?

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
Another day passed with no eating or pooping... ugh. I really don't know what do do anymore. She was definitely more active today but still totally disinterested in anything I offered her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try putting a few more plastic plants all over inside the enclosure. Maybe it's just too open and he doesn't feel safe. Also, until you get him eating, put the food at the mouth of the cave so he doesn't have to come out into the open to eat.

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
Hi all, just wanted to update you. This morning she started doing this weird thing where it looked like she was biting the air so I took her to my local vivarium. They told me that she most likely has a respirtory infection and her chances of making it are slim. Unfortunately I wont be able to get her to a vet until monday since reptile vets are hard to come by... I have her in a smaller enclosure to keep her tempuratures warm. Really hope she makes it... I posted a separate post asking for advice with respiratory infections, but haven't gotten any responses yet. I feel so defeated...

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Can you post a picture or 2 of her? is she breathing with her mouth open? Does she have bubbles or anything coming out of her nose or are her eyes swollen? How has her weight been throughout all of this? i haven’t personally dealt with a RI, but I’ve read many great threads on this forum on how to deal with them. I think doing a search for threads on RI would be a great place to start on helping resolve this.

snickitysnack

Oakland, CA
Just wanted to update y'all! Took her to the vet yesterday and she got antibiotics (for URI) and vitamin injections. She's already doing so much better and ate for the first time in almost two weeks today! I was so happy that I immediately started crying, haha. Snack (that's her name) and I thank you for all your help/tips. Hopefully she just continues to get better!