Please help baby tort won’t eat

Location (City and/or State)
London
I got my tortoise a week ago, since yesterday morning he hasn’t eaten, I also never see him drink. Yesterday night we changed his bedding but I don’t think it’s that because he didn’t eat also before we changed the substrate. He has been fine since we got him, always climbing, eating, full of energy really until he goes to bed he has his own routine. I’m quite worried, I don’t know wether to give him a bath to hydrate him but he doesn’t like baths and I don’t know if it would cause him more stress. Please help someone !

London
Forgot to mention he looks healthy and his enclosure now has 100% coire coarse bedding , compared to the pellets that pet shop gave us. His hot side is 36°c and his cool side is about 25°

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to know more about your set up, temps and care routine.

What are your four temps?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to maintain those temps?
UV bulb? What type? How high is it mounted?
Are you using a vivarium or an open topped table? What is the room temp?

A baby russian under 100 grams should be soaked for 20-30 minutes every day. None of them "like" it at first, but all of them get used to it. Not a big deal if you miss a day or two, but try to do it daily.

Give these a read through and see what is different in your set up:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

London
Room temp average in my house is 22°, he is kept in a viv at the moment a 3 foot one I will attach a picture. At night his temp is about 21° on the cool side. He is 10 months old . The light is 40watts but is warm enough and quite low down because we had a 60 watt but was reaching too hot (43°) we swapped it straight away (same day we got him) and he has been more active since , he likes it at around 36°

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Think about your baby tortoise a minute - he's inside a stiff, non-movable shell and he has to stretch his neck out in order to eat anything. And with that food bowl it's doubly hard for him to do that. He has to stretch his neck out, then up then over then down. Baby tortoises just don't have the flexibility to do that. Feed him on a flat surface. Same with the water. Get a plant saucer and sink it down into the substrate for water.

Now, to get him to eat. Your baby is prey. Baby tortoises know that so they stay hiding most of the time. I would chop up his food, put it on a tile then place the tile right in the doorway of the hiding place. Every morning get him out and soak him in warm water for about 15 minutes (you can place the soaking bowl back into the habitat to keep it warm). Then put him in front of the food and step out of sight.

What are you offering? And what did the person you got him from feed him. Sometimes you have to feed what they're used to eating.

London
It usually is dig down into the ground and he loves climbing in to eat, I’ve just bathed him and he’s eating more now. We give him a mix of things we have given him cucumber mixed with lambs lettuce and green leaf lettuce we have also given him a red lettuce and green lettuce mix, we have given him some kale, rocket, etc. It’s always mainly green leaf or lambs leaf lettuce ,with sometimes some sort of cucumber or other veg to make it more interesting

London
Pet shop we got them from said they fed him lettuce and carrots but we haven’t given him any carrots yet, I don’t think they know much though because they sold us his bedding which was rabbit pellets and also told us only to bath him once a month!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Good grief, that’s awful advice from your pet store. Carrots are too high in sugars for a Russian to digest properly so none of them!

Take a look at the care sheets and keep asking questions!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
He is eating again now I gave him a bath and some kale he ate for half hour straight! [emoji5] I’m doing lots of research online but it’s all very contradicting so I’m sticking to posting on here

This is the best place for advice on care, years of experience here!

London
Thanks everyone for the advice. Should I be spritzing my coir with water? I heard you are supposed to do this but won’t it be too humid and damp for a baby

DDickie

5 Year Member
UK
Good grief, that’s awful advice from your pet store. Carrots are too high in sugars for a Russian to digest properly so none of them!

Take a look at the care sheets and keep asking questions!

Ask your vet for a list of recommended foods!