please help-bubbles? straining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessielocks

5 Year Member
please help with a breathing concern

I am concerned about mac, he has been doing great and everything going good, until this afternoon that is. We had our normal daily routine, wake up, soak, breakfast spring mix & grass today. Then i noticed a little while later that he acting funny. Hes blowing bubbles and doing what looks like push-ups, seems to be straining, and sometimes lethargic, he had a loose stool, & now he's sitting in one spot under the heat and still pumping his head in and out while doing this he makes a chirping sound while moving his mandible quickly but not blowing bubbles so much anymore. Does anyone have advice or maybe know what's going on? Thank you guys ahead of time.

Also be did have cactus the last couple of days could that be causing this?

Vet appt made for Monday office was closing when i called and they're closed over the weekend, & i have raised his temps a teency bit hoping that will help, any suggestions on what to do till then would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance.

nessielocks

5 Year Member
I am concerned about mac, he has been doing great and everything going good, until this afternoon that is. We had our normal daily routine, wake up, soak, breakfast spring mix & grass today. Then i noticed a little while later that he was acting funny. Hes blowing bubbles and doing what looks like push-ups, seems to be straining, and sometimes lethargic, he had a loose stool, & now he's sitting in one spot under the heat and still pumping his head in and out while doing this he makes a chirping sound while moving his mandible quickly but not blowing bubbles so much anymore. Does anyone have advice or maybe know what's going on? Also be did have cactus the last couple of days could that be causing this? Vet appt made for Monday office was closing when i called and they're closed over the weekend, & i have raised his temps a teency bit hoping that will help, any suggestions on what to do till then would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
RE: please help

Increase temps. Warm soaks till you see your vet on Monday. Sounds like RI

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
RE: please help with a breathing concern

Raise temps. Warm soaks till vet visit. Try to get him to eat if possible

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Thank you mainy, how high should i increase temps?

*mainey

M

Maggie Cummings

Raise the temp to 85 or 90. Keep him out of drafts and soak once a day until you can get him to the Vet...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Warmer soaks for sure. If he's straining to poop, it could be that he is compacted and is trying to get rid of it. But, when you go to the vet, he should take x-rays and you should know more by then. Keep us posted.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Depends on the overall situation of the month or so prior if its RI. What species? What temps day, night, cool, and hot side? Do you spray the enclosure and does the substrate stay really wet? Does sound like hes having trouble deficating, COULD be compaction, but has he been near anything that could of been ingested that could compact him? Outside time maybe werent watching for just a minute? if its a RI a good 85-90 constant minimum for about a month will cure that issue. Let us know so maybe we can steer you in the right direction before monday, and give more details the vet.

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Day temp 85-90, night 80-85, hot side 90-100 and cool side high 70's low 80's, yes his substrate stays pretty damp, it does seem like he is having troubled pottying, oh and his substrate is coco fiber. Are my temps wrong and is the substrate ok to use?

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Ok, i also posted this in tortoise health cuz i wasn't sure which topic i should put it in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Seems ok. The thing with keeping substrate pretty wet, is when it cools down at night it can drastically drop the temps and cause RI. Humidity needs heat+water to sustain its purpose. I would suggest using a repti fogger or only spray the enclosure down in the morning to allow the heat bulbs and warm parts of the day to dry it up. Sounds like this is the cause of a RI. One thing you can do is use a under tank heater as well to dry up the substrate and or keep it warm. so its not wet and cold when the warm water used drops in temp an hour or so after sprayed on the substrate. Boost the temps to 85 all around and should clear up. Try to mix up or dry the sunstrate though. You can also put a thermometer in the substrate and see what those temps are. Upper respiratory infections are usually caused by temperature spikes great degree over a period of time, usually 3-4 weeks. Is this a sulcata or redfoot?

nessielocks

5 Year Member

" He" is a leopard, and I'm beginning to think maybe i have been keeping the substrate to wet :( i really hope he's going to be ok and i am going to make the necessary changes. i will keepU guys posted. And thank you for all your help and support.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yeah sounds like its too wet. If you have a kitchen probe like thermometer just stick it in the coco coir and see what it is. Its more than likely just gotten a little RI due to temp spikes, and the substrate staying too cool for "Him". He will be ok just need to keep him warm for a while, and I would suggest just doing the soaks as normal(warm water) and get a reptifogger for humidity in the tank, and or heat pad under the enclosure and stragically mist the enclosure during the warmest parts of day so it can dry out before night time cooler temps come around.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Nessielocks, I knew if posted on both posts. You would get some answers..sorry I didn't respond right away. I hope you got some good advise..good luck

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Lol i put "he" cuz i have high hopes, and i don't have a thermometer but will get one first thing in the morn.

Ok and to dry out his substrate is it ok to bake it you think or should i just lay it pit in the sun, which do you think would be best? Story if i sound silly i just want to do the best i can to help him get better.

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Yes mainey, thank you so much for your help and i am getting great help. You guys are all so wonderful. Being a first time tort momma is hard lol and worrisome, o want to do everything i can to ensure him a long healthy happy life. Again thank you all so much. I will keep everyone posted.

nessielocks

5 Year Member

Ok i am during the substrate in the morn putting it out to sun. Thank you again for all the help. I'm just a nervous wreck right now worried about him.

*drying

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

It will be ok. Humidity helps with non pyramiding but theres other ways to keep him hydrated. He should be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.