please help (diet for softshell turtles and star tortoises)

Pearl Patil

Location (City and/or State)
gujrat
hey, I have 2 turtles and 1 tortoise. to be specific the turtles are the Indian softshell turtle and the tortoise is the Indian star tortoise. even though this stage is of hibernation my pets do eat that much even in summers which is very concerning to me. I want ur help, please give me a good diet for pets. just to mention my turtles eat chapatis and tortoises eat hibiscus plants. PLEASE HELP ME.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
What temperatures are you keeping them at right now? Softshell turtles tend to be prefer protein based diets over fiber so I would try getting some turtle pellets with protein. ZooMed makes some great turtle food so see if you can find it in your area. However, do not feed them meat directly as it is unhygienic and contains too much fat.

As for the star tortoise, have you tried any other types of greens and vegetables? It is not advised to feed an animal with only one type of food. If the tortoise is quite underweight right now I would try giving them soaked Mazuri tortoise diet. You can refer to this website for what types of food you can feed them.

Here are some useful pages:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-to-feed-aquatic-turtles-and-why.70414/

Pearl Patil

gujrat
the temperature is 21 degrees. about the food, I tried giving my turtles turtle food by Taiyos floating but they didn't like them, I also tried giving them fish food but again same results

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post some pics of your tortoise enclosure?
The environment and temps are often things that affects much of their behaviour.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your softshell turtles need live food.