Please help (hatchling's eyes are closed)

TortoiseClown

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I recently purchased an Indian star tortoise and received it Wednesday November 10 2021. Is it supposed to be this small and still have its egg tooth? Since I received it I have been giving it regular soaks in 83 degree water and I keep the enclosure between 80 and 90 degrees with a cool side of 75. I have a heat source and a uvb light but the little one does does open it’s eyes and has not eaten for me. I really need help. Pics are included. Thank you.

Attachments

• DE85829C-CA29-45FA-AC13-3609D25890F8.jpeg
    DE85829C-CA29-45FA-AC13-3609D25890F8.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 23
  • D384CD72-22AD-43E3-A682-E107B1C1AE02.jpeg
    D384CD72-22AD-43E3-A682-E107B1C1AE02.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 9D0051F5-8F48-4472-A0E9-5A511AA9C818.jpeg
    9D0051F5-8F48-4472-A0E9-5A511AA9C818.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 23

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I recently purchased an Indian star tortoise and received it Wednesday November 10 2021. Is it supposed to be this small and still have its egg tooth? Since I received it I have been giving it regular soaks in 83 degree water and I keep the enclosure between 80 and 90 degrees with a cool side of 75. I have a heat source and a uvb light but the little one does does open it’s eyes and has not eaten for me. I really need help. Pics are included. Thank you.
I'm no Indian star expert, but it does usually take time for hatchlings eyes to open. Since he still has his egg tooth, that's telling me it may be a fresh hatchling. So, it might still be full from it's yolk sack it absorbed. Also, it may be adjusting to it's new environment still.The egg tooth will fall off eventually. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I don't think it's a health issue, but as regards to the eyes, if they don't open after a while you could try zoomed turtle eye drops. They work great. Hopefully I was of some help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can give you help with getting the eyes open, however, YOU must be the detective and try to figure out why this happened in the first place. To start you need to read the care sheet with an open mind and make changes to your husbandry as necessary. Here's the link: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/

Most importantly, baby tortoises should be kept at around 80-85F degrees all the time, day and night. Don't allow them to get cool (which is what I'm suspecting happened to your baby).

Using a bowl with a small foot print, but tall sides he can't climb out of, add a half jar of Gerber strained carrots and that same amount of warm water (50/50 carrots/warm water). You want the solution to come up to the middle of his sides, not too deep to cause him to struggle to keep his head out of the water. Put the baby in the bowl, then set the bowl back inside the enclosure to keep it warm. Leave him soaking in there for about 45 minutes to an hour, checking frequently to make sure he's not getting into trouble. If you do this daily, at the end of the third day his eyes will be open. But it's important for you to figure out why this happened in the first place. So like I said, read the care sheet with an OPEN MIND and make changes to your husbandry accordingly.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@mastershake Austwickia? @TortoiseClown where did you get this tortoise? Screenshot_20211114-115711~2.png

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The tortoise looks severely dry and suffering….
The face looks utterly abnormal to me

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
hard to say if this is auswitckia. one symptom is facial issues like this but im not sure this is that. imo this should not have been shipped yet like that