please help I dont know what tortoise I have

Gigean

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
tortoise 1.jpgtortoise 2.jpg
is there a way to repair her shell ive tried calcium powder on her food but then she doesnt eat it
theres pits and the sides are flaky/peeling kinda i wanna say it is shell rot but idk for certain or if its like a kind of shedding

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is a Central American Wood turtle. Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni. The shell is beat up and worn but I see nothing that looks like active shell rot. May have had it in the past and left the pitted look.

It is a mostly terrestrial turtle. Set it up in a habitat that is about 1/4 water, 3/4 land.

Gigean

Oregon
That is a Central American Wood turtle. Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni. The shell is beat up and worn but I see nothing that looks like active shell rot. May have had it in the past and left the pitted look.

It is a mostly terrestrial turtle. Set it up in a habitat that is about 1/4 water, 3/4 land.
thank you

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Provide a dusting of calcium and stir into fresh veg, I know they can avoid but stiring in spreads it and some should get eaten!. You can also add a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure and the turtle will peck it as required. Ensure turtle is soaking to enhance hydration, correct diet is also provided and you could brush the shell and claws with a toothbrush and wipe a bit of coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise. Keep us posted as this is an unusual turtle to see on this forum.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Provide a dusting of calcium and stir into fresh veg, I know they can avoid but stiring in spreads it and some should get eaten!. You can also add a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure and the turtle will peck it as required. Ensure turtle is soaking to enhance hydration, correct diet is also provided and you could brush the shell and claws with a toothbrush and wipe a bit of coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise. Keep us posted as this is an unusual turtle to see on this forum.
Can’t wait to see what he looks like after his coconut rub down!!
He is gorgeous!

Gigean

Oregon
Provide a dusting of calcium and stir into fresh veg, I know they can avoid but stiring in spreads it and some should get eaten!. You can also add a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure and the turtle will peck it as required. Ensure turtle is soaking to enhance hydration, correct diet is also provided and you could brush the shell and claws with a toothbrush and wipe a bit of coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise. Keep us posted as this is an unusual turtle to see on this f

Attachments

• tortoise 3.jpg
    tortoise 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • tortoise  4.jpg
    tortoise 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • tortoise 5.jpg
    tortoise 5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Gigean

Oregon
my enclosure is horrible and i feel ashamed knowing i didnt take care of her at all
I was planning on moving her to a a lil 5x5 wood enclosure once i move out which will be in about a month. thank you for letting me know about the cuddle fish bone i wasnt aware that was even a thing for my turtle. I figured it was gut loading meal worms and crickets or trying to sprinkle the calcium powder on her veggies (which she always ignores) so i didnt think it could be done with her

Gigean

Oregon
soft tooth brush and baby shampoo and coconut oil i let it absorb in for 15 minutes and the used a towel to wipe it off

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
thank you i cant wait to give the cuddle fish bone a try so far my luck with the calcium powder is abysmal
Correct diet and sunlight or a good UVB lamp will help him absorb D3 and heal.
It'll also lessen the need for extra Calcium

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
soft tooth brush and baby shampoo and coconut oil i let it absorb in for 15 minutes and the used a towel to wipe it off
I would drop/ stop the baby shampoo as you do not want soap to be drunk or in the eyes. OK if one off to achieve what we saw.

Gigean

Oregon
I would drop/ stop the baby shampoo as you do not want soap to be drunk or in the eyes. OK if one off to achieve what we saw.
yea i stopped doing the baby shampoo a couple nights ago i just wanted to get all the dirtand feces off from her shell cause she defecates in her water and i used to not clean it just refill it with a bottle of water I took really bad care of her i know.

Gigean

Oregon
Spinach should only be fed sparingly because it's super high in oxalate.
Other green leafy plants would be better.
They can eat many hundreds of items. Don't limit the menu to just those few things
i did not know that thank you is there anything i should lean away from feeding her or vice versa more towards

Gigean

Oregon
Correct diet and sunlight or a good UVB lamp will help him absorb D3 and heal.
It'll also lessen the need for extra Calcium
i picked up a few cuddle bones ones mango flavored if that helps her eat it cool i got a desert uvb light on her is desert good or should i lessen it to tropical