Please help, I feel like I don’t deserve my tort

Gdrami

Location (City and/or State)
VA
My tort is 2 years old, his shell is kinda flat and bumpy and I’ve gotten conflicting answered on humidity and enclosures. I know for a fact that his place is too dry, I’ve ordered a humidifier HOWEVER, I’ve read if he breathes water droplets it’ll be bad for him, so I don’t understand how I’m supposed to keep humidity at 70%. I use the eco earth coconut coir but I get scared that he’ll inhale it since it gets dry extremely quick. Is there anything I can put inside to help???

Please break it down, dummy it down for me please. I will provide a picture of his current enclosure.

My tort is happy and very active and has a huge appetite, he runs to his food! I just hate that I couldn’t help him with his shell growth. I also have him in a stupid wooden enclosure from Amazon but I am looking into a closed chamber as I’ve read here on the forum however I’m scared he won’t be able to breath???? If someone can link me an enclosure that will help with humidity I would highly appreciate it.

Glass is a big nono so what do I buy for him to live in? I found this closed chamber but let me know if its any good. Thank you criticism, tips, resources, links to stuff are all appreciated. Ik this is all over the place, I just really care for him and I thought I had it down but I clearly don’t. Thank you in advanced :/

Attachments

• D79DC924-37BB-41C8-8286-7F1E95B0B8C6.png
    D79DC924-37BB-41C8-8286-7F1E95B0B8C6.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 9892DD2B-8EC5-4CD7-950B-6F00165F6646.jpeg
    9892DD2B-8EC5-4CD7-950B-6F00165F6646.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 66BEFB52-0315-4FD8-9256-A627FA638F2C.jpeg
    66BEFB52-0315-4FD8-9256-A627FA638F2C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Gdrami

VA
Conflicting? This is why I’m so confused on what’s wrong and right! I’ve read here on the forum that even 80% is ok for young torts, I don’t get it

Attachments

• 970A0EE2-AA1B-47B0-BA74-5C3AD2E8BE0E.png
    970A0EE2-AA1B-47B0-BA74-5C3AD2E8BE0E.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The COMMON species that are prone to pyramiding and that benefit from living in a closed chamber are star, sulcata, leopard. If you have a Hermanns you can achieve the humidity he requires in the enclosure you have by wetting the substrate and adding a plant or two.

People who look all over the 'net looking for info are the ones who find conflicting info. Read our care sheet (located near the top of the Hermanns section. That's all you need for a happy, healthy Hermanns tortoise.

Gdrami

VA
The COMMON species that are prone to pyramiding and that benefit from living in a closed chamber are star, sulcata, leopard. If you have a Hermanns you can achieve the humidity he requires in the enclosure you have by wetting the substrate and adding a plant or two.

People who look all over the 'net looking for info are the ones who find conflicting info. Read our care sheet (located near the top of the Hermanns section. That's all you need for a happy, healthy Hermanns tortoise.
Thank you for your response! I will read it

Southern California
I would not recommend using that humidifier for your Hermann's tortoise.

Yvonne gave you good advice. The Hermann's care sheet breaks it down well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort is 2 years old, his shell is kinda flat and bumpy and I’ve gotten conflicting answered on humidity and enclosures. I know for a fact that his place is too dry, I’ve ordered a humidifier HOWEVER, I’ve read if he breathes water droplets it’ll be bad for him, so I don’t understand how I’m supposed to keep humidity at 70%. I use the eco earth coconut coir but I get scared that he’ll inhale it since it gets dry extremely quick. Is there anything I can put inside to help???

Please break it down, dummy it down for me please. I will provide a picture of his current enclosure.

My tort is happy and very active and has a huge appetite, he runs to his food! I just hate that I couldn’t help him with his shell growth. I also have him in a stupid wooden enclosure from Amazon but I am looking into a closed chamber as I’ve read here on the forum however I’m scared he won’t be able to breath???? If someone can link me an enclosure that will help with humidity I would highly appreciate it.

Glass is a big nono so what do I buy for him to live in? I found this closed chamber but let me know if its any good. Thank you criticism, tips, resources, links to stuff are all appreciated. Ik this is all over the place, I just really care for him and I thought I had it down but I clearly don’t. Thank you in advanced :/
You've got some of the common misconceptions that come from "research" on the web.

Humidifier should not be blowing directly into the enclosure, but you can use it to humidify the whole room.

Substrate must be kept damp to avoid dust and keep humidity higher.

You can't maintain higher humidity with an open top. You need a closed chamber for that. A baby hermanni will benefit from a closed chamber, but it isn't "necessary" with this species. Closed chambers are not hermetically sealed. There are vents and gaps around the doors that let plenty of air movement happen. Your tortoise will not suffocate.

Glass is not a no no. That is a persistent internet myth. Its false. Myself and many other here used glass tank to start babies for decades without issue.

Here is the correct care info:

AriNass

Alabama

I think your enclosure that you have already is great. Let’s face it any enclosure could always be bigger than what we have. Perhaps use water in a spray bottle and must the substrate a little every day. The as it evaporates there is some humidity. That said don’t soak it just moisten. Ate you supplementing calcium and have a vitamin D light?