Please help if you can (lump on throat)

Ron Cobb

Location (City and/or State)
Yucca Valley Ca
Oh and by the way, before any ask. As far as the shooter of Angel, well the LEGAL (yes being well versed in animal law and yes again, there is a law for just about everything in this fine nation we live in) consequences and ramifications he had to deal with since using a very inhumane and illegal act of shooting Angel without at least calling animal control first was.............I will leave it to the fact I don't think he has nor ever will do a dirty deed such as he had.

Chow,

Ron

Kim444

5 Year Member
I know Mr.T(my greek tort) is most hungry after his baths, so maybe his swimming is making him more hungry. I wouldn't worry about over feeding him at this point.

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Enough of waiting. I have found a herp vet down in the lower desert that took a look at the pictures after I called that said "bring it down now, it needs immediate attention. I've looked them up prior to sending the pics, they are rated as one of the best of the state.

You all take care of those pets that are a part of your life and most of all, take care of yourself,

Ron

Kim444

5 Year Member
Enough of waiting. I have found a herp vet down in the lower desert that took a look at the pictures after I called that said "bring it down now, it needs immediate attention. I've looked them up prior to sending the pics, they are rated as one of the best of the state.

You all take care of those pets that are a part of your life and most of all, take care of yourself,

Ron

That is great news, can't wait to hear the update. He will get great care.

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Hey all:
I did this in a different color so it stands out. Speedster is in good hands now. She is getting a facial, pedicure and manicure (beak trim and toe nail trimmings). Preliminary diagnoses is just what I believe Yvonne had said, Goiter. The cause...... lack of a real food regiment. She is so full of spunk, she gave the doctor a teaching in turtle mood. She's strong, her shell actually in great shape even without the proper diet. Due to my lack of knowledge and the fact I know she will be handled with the utmost care, I left her there for her first round of medications and "babying" . I pick her up Friday 3 PM ish and in the meantime, I will build her a palace a king would envy.
I write this with a bit of mist in my eyes only due to the overwhelming thoughts and drive YOU ALL have put into not only Speedy's rehabilitation but mine.
Bless you all !

Ron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What is the prognosis? I know that goiter is 'shrunk' and not removed like an abscess. Do they think with treatment they'll be able to shrink that swollen gland?

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Hi Yvonne:

Yes they not only "think" but they have assured me Speedy will be in perfect form in 6 to 8 weeks. I couldn't follow all the mumbo jumbo being thrown at me (I'm just a simple laymen) but I did and still have after our visit, is faith. Obviously I will get all the procedures done to Speedster in my final bill and I will scan and supply said information for all to see and possibly learn from.

I'm tired peeps, ashamed as to my attention given to the Speedster, I really need to lay my head on a pillow and "say good night to all"

Ron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ron:

You've really been a trouper through all of this...and I'm so glad you you have decided to go all the way and get this tortoise fixed. Don't beat yourself up. Now that you know about all the help you can get here, the way you care for the tortoise is going to change. It's all good.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Keep your chin up Ron! Get some well deserved rest.
Your tort will be ok. I have faith! Your a good daddy in changing to better your baby. I know a lot of people who wouldn't go to half the lengths you've ALREADY gone to.
No one's born knowing all. Don't beat yourself up anymore. You've done right and will continue in the direction needed.
It's common (so I'm finding) for misinformation to be out there in large quantity. Vets and keepers alike. Fact is not a lot of actual research out there on torts. This place (forum) is the ONLY place I've found passionate people and information with PROOF to back it up. It's hard to sift threw it all on the Internet. Then you come here and find Tom and Yvonne and others who have the time, knowledge and proof (pics etc) of long term care.
They passionately care about torts/turtles and the people who call them theirs. :)
You've come to the right place. Stick around. Even after your Torts all better and happily living the life all torts deserve. ;)
There will always be changes in keeping a healthy tort. We never know it all.
Stay strong! Time will fly by and your tort will be healthy before you know it! :)
Keep us posted! :)

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Words of Wisdom well accepted. I had already decide to stay in touch, like I said I have never used a forum board and I'm so self reliant, I don't ask for help but as you said so eloquently Tactical , there aren't many place to look to repair something like a turtle.

Oh yes, life will go on ! Got a lot of things to get done before tomorrow afternoon so I won't be hanging on the board much but I will keep ya all posted. You peeps are as passionate abort "torts" as I am about rescue dogs, man could I bend your ears on that. But Speedster is part of the family and thus my efforts to bring her back.
Adios for now friends,

Ron

Kim444

5 Year Member
Have you called to see how he is doing? Not sure I can wait until Friday afternoon for updates, lol

turtlemanfla88

you are doing the right thing taking to the vet. I feed collard greens,turnip greens, pricky pear cactus (opuntia family), and mulberry leaves and the fruit. Also, i leave cuttle bones with allof my turtles and tortoises and it helps their beaks and a good calcium source.

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Hey peeps:

I accidently somehow had unchecked the alert me via email on messages with this forum,. So I took a look this morning. I stopped by yesterday and low and behold, the doctor was at lunch. Ummmmmm I don't know what a lunch break even is but I left work for the doctor to call me ONLY if there is any news that may need addressing. I've been scheduled for a couple of pre-trial conferences that opposing counsel(s) have been well informed, the conferences will be done by 2:30 sharp or they will hear nothing but a busy/dial tone on the other end.
I've also informed my local doctor I will be coming by with Speedster to not only get a second opinion but also for the staff to meet Speedy so I can get them accustomed to her in case of any further medical needs. Call it extra insurance. I hoping after today, except rehabilitation, this will all be nothing more than a bad dream.

Again sorry for the lack of communications, it was technical glitch.

Ron

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Good evening:

Long day. Yes Speedy is the "guy" I had been calling "Sir" all these years, not a female as one of my new friends had said he was. Secondly, he's just fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time I got home, made him a complete new indoor living quarters (see attached picture), made a small something to eat, I laid down and just woke up). Guessing I was tired ?

Took him to my local vet as mentioned and played quiz with Dr. Smith. Everything that I was told at the pro down below was what she had come up with. Original preliminary" thought was goiter but after all the tests and full COMPLETE physical, it wasn't even that bad !
Seems after all, I had done better at taking care of him, just as some had said, a total bad food regiment . Anyway he is on his way to a healthy recovery. I did get schooled on a lot. I had been doing things backwards on many topics. I was heating his pen at night and the light off during the day whereas bot vets said, no, no. You keep the light on during they day and let him enjoy some coolness at night, just like a humans daily life goes. Sooooooooooooooooo much more I was taught, I listened, took notes like a law school pupil and brought him home. NOW if that is incorrect info, please let me know, that is why I brought it up.

Oh geez, I almost forgot (see my mind does wander a bit o_O). He merely had lack of the proper vitamins from the wrong food (and how many of you had mentioned that ? all of you). So we got a vitamin A & D injection, a vitamin B complex injection, a beak trim, nails done, pat on the shell, kisses good bye by bother doctors and a new nick name "The 6 million dollar turtle" :D.

Should finish up his outside pen this weekend but you all were not only extremely helpful, once again, you were right. So I cleaned all the old bedding out, bought him some more shelters to crawl in, he now has his personal bath/swimming pool and lastly......................................should I get him a partner ? Do they like companionship ? Should I first go to school on the proper care of a "Tort" ????????????? :):):):):)

And the coffee table pen he has is much bigger than the picture reflects, it's an 60 gallon fish aquarium. I still can't get him to poke his head out or I would send a picture of him. But at least the swelling is down enough so the little brat can at least pull his head in !

Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Attachments

• Speedy love shack.jpg
    Speedy love shack.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 26

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Glad to follow that the path is getting better....please do watch the injection site of the vitamin shot....some tortoise have an adverse reaction to the dosage given...skin peeling and such...if all was administered in correct amount all should be fine....if for some reason you see peeling/sloughing of skin at or near the injection site then attention will be needed....I would also offer daily warm water soaks for the next week and would make sure that those warm water soaks are for at least 30 minutes......;)