Please help! (Ignorant about tortoise care, need help)

sushithedragon

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone, I’m brand new to this forum as I don’t know anything about tortoises and I’m personally not going to own one
BUT I live with my boyfriend and his parents and his mum is impulse-adopting a tortoise today. It is so impulse that I’m not sure what type of tortoise he is. All I know is he’s 23 years old. From what I can gather he’s quite big so that may help with determining the breed. I read up a bit online and I’ve read about heating and uvb lighting (I own a bearded dragon so I know how essential these are for reptiles).
I was sceptical if she was even going to provide the tortoise with this so I sort of asked her in a sneaky way as I’m awful with confrontation. Well I was right and she’s not, she is just going to allow him to hibernate (it’s been very cold in the U.K.)
Anyway as someone who doesn’t know much, I need advice on whether this is okay or not? I’m assuming they need uvb as well, which she isn’t providing either, as I know other reptiles do. Another thing, he will be permanently living outside 😫 I just don’t want this tortoise to have a bad life or become ill. I know he’s not my pet but I am an animal lover.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello.
I'm in South Florida USA and the environment is very different than in England.
We don't know what type of tortoise. Was he previously living outdoors his past 23 years? Living outdoors he probably doesn't need any additional UVB. But everything else comes down to the tortoise species.

sushithedragon

London
Hello.
I'm in South Florida USA and the environment is very different than in England.
We don't know what type of tortoise. Was he previously living outdoors his past 23 years? Living outdoors he probably doesn't need any additional UVB. But everything else comes down to the tortoise species.
I think he may have lived outside, we aren’t really having any sun at the moment and the temp is down around 8 degrees at night and it’s only autumn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When she gets him home, take a couple of pictures of him, top and bottom, and post them. We'll be better able to help you once we know what species he is.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

As a couple of members mentioned: we need pictures of the tort asap.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Oh my goodness, I can't even bring myself to acquire a PLANT without extensive research. I'm not exaggerating. I'm so thankful my tortoise found me, or I would have never known the joy ...

Looking forward to your photos and so very glad you found this forum! You will get the best advice here and lucky for that tortoise that you happen to live there. I sure hope BF's mom is teachable.

sushithedragon

London
Pretty good update (I think), seems the tortoise went into hibernation last night with the previous owners, so BF’s mum is going to wait until next year and says she is going to fully research and educate herself, build the correct setup and everything before they get him next year! I hope the tortoise is okay though! They said he didn’t really wake up this morning so I’m hoping that means hibernation? It’s probably for the best she doesn’t get him right now without any actual research. Thanks guys! And sorry for the false alarm!