Please help, Indian star leg swollen

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
So the eye drops have not helped at all. Her eye was closed this morning. I gave her the gout meds and she is soaking now. Put another call into the vet. Who frankly seems useless. She can’t explain the eye and mentioned the only gout patient she had died. Thanks for the positive thoughts there doctor. I did see her eating some clover and radicchio yesterday and she has gained two grams. But no poop in her soaks. I am doing meds every morning, long soaks, a few hours in the sun during the day. Long soak at night. Should I try to get more fluids into her? I can just put water into the syringe. She is pretty good taking the meds. I worry with not finding poops. Maybe I am not seeing them. But usually with a long soak she will poop. Any thoughts?
I am so sorry that it is not getting better. Big electronic hugs.

Kasia

Poland
Hi
Keep a healthy diet, try natural herbal tea mixtures to increase diuresis. Ask for blood analisys to control uric acid level - test it regular to see how is the treatment going, she’s eating and is active so have hope. Consult another Vet to have a broader horizon, ask the current Vet for contact to someone more expirienced.
Pushing more water in her could stress her probably sick system so I think no, make the water always available, if she wants to drink let her. Soak her daily. And wait...

Lesa

Louisville, KY
Hi
Keep a healthy diet, try natural herbal tea mixtures to increase diuresis. Ask for blood analisys to control uric acid level - test it regular to see how is the treatment going, she’s eating and is active so have hope. Consult another Vet to have a broader horizon, ask the current Vet for contact to someone more expirienced.
Pushing more water in her could stress her probably sick system so I think no, make the water always available, if she wants to drink let her. Soak her daily. And wait...
I ordered the tea you used from a place in New York. I’ll talk to the vet on Saturday and get a referral. She was drinking during her soak earlier. She was stretched out basking in natural sun today. Didn’t want the banana or plantain but did eat some radicchio. Will try the sweet potato and cherries tomorrow. I will just be patient with her. Thanks for all your help!

Kasia

Poland
I ordered the tea you used from a place in New York. I’ll talk to the vet on Saturday and get a referral. She was drinking during her soak earlier. She was stretched out basking in natural sun today. Didn’t want the banana or plantain but did eat some radicchio. Will try the sweet potato and cherries tomorrow. I will just be patient with her. Thanks for all your help!
Honestly it's a long process and from what you have written, her quality of life is pretty good so your doing a great work!

Lesa

Louisville, KY
Update on my tortoise. We had a visit with the vet yesterday. She cleaned some gunk that was trapped under the eyelid and causing the problems. She wasn’t sure what the gunk was but it is not infection. I have new eye drops but just cleaning out lid made a huge difference. She has gained a couple of grams and the vet said she looked nice and hydrated. She was pleased there are no additional signs of gout. The leg looks about the same but it is a long process and we are to continue with the gout meds. Sweet potatoes were a hit but not the cherries or plantains. I have bananas and squash to try next and she is good with the red and green leaf lettuce. We’ve been having great weather so back outside for some more sunshine. She’s been getting in her water dish outside on her own and drinking and soaking.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and support.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Update on my tortoise. We had a visit with the vet yesterday. She cleaned some gunk that was trapped under the eyelid and causing the problems. She wasn’t sure what the gunk was but it is not infection. I have new eye drops but just cleaning out lid made a huge difference. She has gained a couple of grams and the vet said she looked nice and hydrated. She was pleased there are no additional signs of gout. The leg looks about the same but it is a long process and we are to continue with the gout meds. Sweet potatoes were a hit but not the cherries or plantains. I have bananas and squash to try next and she is good with the red and green leaf lettuce. We’ve been having great weather so back outside for some more sunshine. She’s been getting in her water dish outside on her own and drinking and soaking.

That is really good news. So glad that things are looking up.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

What about her leg? did they say what caused the swelling in her leg?